1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48"/21 Ztr?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MTR, Dec 2, 2002.

1. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I would like to hear some expertise from folks in this forum regarding the Lazer Z HP.

1. I am looking at 44/19 kaw, 20 koh unit and 48/21 kaw unit, are these two, good machines for my next upgrade? I like the compact deck of 48", with 21 kaw, from your experience it should be a good cutting machine, isn't it? (The facts that a new 48/21kaw hovering at six grand plus, let alone a used one, no trailer upgrade, in and out residentials quickly dictate me)

2. How costly to maintain the Z and what is routine daily or weekly schedule I have to do to keep it running without problem?

3. Would the cut quality match or outcut most of WB, provided you maintain clean underdeck. I asked because I noticed some of big landscapers using Lazer Z but the cut does not indicate it's done by Exmark ZTR!!, very rough and choppy, creating many ruts, even loosing cut height resulitng in untidy lawns which I don' t like.

4. How do they loose the Height of Cut even checking everything right, etc, tire pressure, pins on deck ?

5. Would 48/21 Lazer Z do good job for mostly residential cutting, like 6 hrs a day, What is your suggestion? Do you thik it will outgun or outcut a 36" belt Exmark WB with jungle wheels in mostly residential ?

6. How long it takes to be "pro" at the ZTR especially Exmark, I mean you don't ruin the turf by the end of your pop if you move up from a WB with jungle wheels.

This is researching time

Best regards,
  2. We owned a 48 hp , they just traded it in october for a 60inch lazer.
    Well for small residetal its excellent mower cuts great and leaves a good stripe and with stripe chains on lays down killer stripes.
    I liked the mower but it had two negatives 1- its has very little trim side 2- the ground speed is less then the lazer hp 52 inch.The ground speed on the 48 is 8.1 and the speed of the 52 hp is 9.5.
    Other then those two things it leaves a cut just as good as the full size lazer's and ive cut with all of em.
  3. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Go with the 52 inch lazer hp. The offset deck is worth the extra 3 bills. I do mostly small residentials and it does a awsome job.It also does fine on the larger properties.As for outgunnig a 36 inch wb no comparison your productivity will soar!!
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

In my opinion, odin00 gave some good to the point info on the Lazers.

I can't get the 52" for an extra 3. The dealer here wants $6,899 for a 52" HP. That seems like too much to me. Am I wrong?