1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48" 52" 60" 72" Scalping??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by afftandem, Feb 4, 2006.

1. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

Will be mowing in Kentucky this year. Hilly everywhere...
    Mowed in dayton ohio area last year, mostly flat.

I was wondering (from those who mow in hilly areas) how do the bigger mower decks handle with scalping in the hilly areas.. yards on hills are more slopey (even the ones u would consider flat)... not talking about the hillsides, just the general curves of the yards...

Are the bigger Exmarks better for not scalping over other brands???
    Are walk behinds far less to scalp??? even from the same company?
    For those running 48" wb's .. how much do they scalp??(on slopey lawns)
    I love my 32" stander (rarely scalps).. but not efficient enough for these bigger rural lawns.
    Would love to mow all mine with a 32"... And get a 32"velke mower... but once again, not efficient.

Ive heard a dealer say that it absolutley doesnt matter whether its a floating deck or fixed.. the scalpings the same.
    Ive had a dealer tell me that fixed were less likely to scalp.
    and ive read on here that floatings the best for not scalping.

Any reccomendations??

BAYOU LAWN LawnSite Member

I think you'll get scalping from just about any mower given certain conditions or terrain.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Well a 32" is a toy IMO...our 72' Toro Groundmasters will scalp, our Ferris 72" Z's with IS for the most part don't.
  4. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Best non scalping 72" mower I have been around is an Encore Prowler. The 72" Country Clipper is not far behind it.
  5. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

The Encore and the Country Clipper both have articualting mower decks.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We have very few problems with our 60"s and 72" cub Tanks.:waving:
  7. chuck bow

chuck bow LawnSite Senior Member

I think all mowers will scalp some what with what i have seen in the field depending on the condition of the ground and the lay of the land but imho i think anytime you get over a 52 inch deck it only gets worse , i have a lawn that is 3 acres and is so smooth that i have never ever saw a scalp mark in this lawn but it is cut at 4 inchs also . i think maybe the higher the cut the less noticable it is but sometimes a 4 inch cut is a hard sell to some clients .
  8. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Leaving Dayton? More mowing for me ...hahaha
  9. mslawn

mslawn LawnSite Senior Member
    from LA

I have no problems with 72" exmark - Demo them and see which one works for you.
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I agree with the above statements.
    These are the big mowers I know are not prone to scalping.

My 60" Lesco is the same thing as the Cub. To be honest, I have less problems with scalping and gapping with it than the rest I own/owned... including 48's and 52's. And I cut some hard stuff from bumpy to rolling to holy cow steep. The only thing I ever have to watch for and try to avoid is taking divots with the anti-scalp wheels when cutting lower heights. The decks are heavy and do not float as easily and chain suspended decks. So I have to watch the transition areas. Those such as where you are making the last pass on the flat lawn and you have to turn into a very abrupt steep slope face. The front outside scalp wheel will hit and dig in. But I have learned to avoid this by using common sense.

So, I'm happy with the 60" and would like to try a 72" at some point. On the other hand, the little 52" HP is prone to scalping and gapping easily. That's one to avoid.