1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48"belt vs 48'' hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 19, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

will a 48" hydro out produce a 48" belt? and why?
  2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes, because most hydros have higher ground speeds and are more maneuverable than belt drives. They will also allow you to back up without having to drag the machine and there are no drive belts to slip when it is wet/raining out.
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

a hydro can probably be operated harder than a belt for greater productivity if one is inclined.

but I am not so inclined.

I say a belt unit like my OLDER LESCO is hard to beat.......

just like your beat to death belt drive pusseycat, right WEASEL BOY?

GEO :)
  4. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Hydro -

When turning ya squeeze one side and line yourself back up to head back down the lawn. With the belt seems like you are always hitting " neutral " and pulling that beast back to turn more.

JMO -
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

you mean my bobcat? it's a gem. so, in other words you're telling me the only advantage is longevity, and a little less physical "manhandling" of the machine? no advantage with cutting quality?
  6. cward

cward LawnSite Member

IMO, the hydro is just more user friendly and probably a little quicker in turns and tight spots. Quality of cut should be the same on comparable pieces of equipment. I've had both. I will probably never own another belt drive.
  7. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Hydro advantages

Instant real reverse
    pull sulky better
    better control on hills
    higher ground speed
  8. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I was meaning a HYDRO unit can go faster than my LESCO/belt in terms of ground speed. but I don't mow that fast!

many people here comment on the need for hydro speed.......but I just don't have a need for that kind of speed.

in only going in third gear I have hit things that stopped the LESCO dead and I have bounced all over the handle bars and the metal in between them. it's very painful!

I couldn't imagine flying through a yard and hitting a stump at deck level and flying over the handlebars of a hydro unit running about flat out!

as for cut quality, no difference at all.

9. dishboy

dishboy LawnSite Platinum Member
    from zone 6

A hydro really shines in a few areas. When mowing real small sections or around obstacles the reverse makes for much faster and easier work.

A hydro allows for efficient use of a proslide in small residential lawns, the combined benefit of a proslide and not manhandling the machine in tight courters adds up by the end of the day in time savings and operator fatigue.
  10. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

Hydro Can Double your Productivity...Ease of Turning & Positive Reverse. Used Belts for 15yrs..Would Never Purchase Another.