1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48" Bobcat WB issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by fiveohpoepoe, Oct 2, 2009.

1. fiveohpoepoe

fiveohpoepoe LawnSite Member

Just picked up a 48" WB for a pretty good deal. Its a 98-99 model with a 14hp Kawasaki. I used it today and found going up a slight grade/hill, it slows down and eventually stops. I can push it with medium force and make it to the top. I held each side and they seem to pull ok. Im thinking maybe the pulleys/belts might be the problem?:confused: I really need some good insight here. This mower will have to last me a few years.

Also, there are no extra "spacers" to raise the deck in the front[its on the lowest setting] Is there anything I can use/make with limited tools, instead of buying them at a dealer?

Any input is greatly appreciated.
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check the condition of the trans drive belt under the engine, Replace/adjust as needed.

As for the deck, I'm not sure what's needed....
  3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Why would you not want to just get the spacers from a dealer?

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i had that same problem on my WB and after replacing the transmission belt it works great
  5. fiveohpoepoe

Thanks for the replies. As far as why not get them from a dealer...really dont have a good answer except try to save money. Probably the easiest way.

Again, thanks for the replies. That will be the first thing I try
  6. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Saving money on parts that probably cost a dollar....wow...
  7. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Your cost on the yoke spacers, depending on if you need 3/4 or the 1 inch, is between $2 and $4 bucks each......Now if you have a Western plow laying around, you could use the 1 inch washers to the skids or get some 3/4 inch washers, or some pipe and cut it down.

I don't remember how many blade spacers Bobcat uses, you can adjust the blades from there as well. leave one spacer on the bottom between the blades and the spindle housing.
  8. fiveohpoepoe

I did not check the spacers under the deck but your post reminds me to, so thank you. I did not get any striping on the first use and I know from my past Bobcats something is off. I did find out the spacers from my local dealer are between $3-$4 each.

I plan on doing all the belts just to be on the safe side. Thank you for the info
  9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

You are dealing with Forsythe Mower Works right? I recommend them for parts and service. I drive from Mount Airy to use them even though there's a dealer 5 miles away from me. Tony
  10. fiveohpoepoe

Yeah, Cory.