48 exmark blowout

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by dlandscaping, Aug 5, 2001.

1. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

my 48 exmark blows out dust and grass and dirt from the front of the mower it collects on the deck and i am constantly being covered by it i cant take it anymore i was wondering if this happens to all mowers because i heard it was caused by a 3 blade design which causes an airflow causing debris to fly out i was wondering if this theory is true or not ??

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dlandscaping,

Thanks for the question. The "blow out" is caused by airflow, that much is correct. That is caused by a 3 blade design might be stretching it a little. All mowers can exhibit "blowout" in the right conditions. The key is to know what can effect "blowout" so we can minimize it in a given operating condition or eliminate it in others.

What model 48" mower you have can even effect the amount of blow out. What model do you have? What is the serial number? Are you mulching bagging or side discharging? What height are you cutting at? How tall is the grass your cutting? What type of blade are you using? All of these can effect the "blowout" of a mower deck. Please let me know I'm confident we can help minimize it.

Thanks

Terry

3. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

I had the same problem with a Toro 44, added a baffle and problem was solved.

4. Shack

Shack LawnSite Member

add a baffle that will solve the problem.

5. dlandscaping

from mass

i know this may be a dumb ? but i am rather new to walk behind mowers and somebody responded and told me that adding a baffle kit will help the problem of the dust and grass blowout. what is a baffle kit??

6. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member

dlandscaping, Please put your location in your profile.
    Thank you. :)

7. eXmark

DL,

If you have a 48" fixed deck Metro or Viking with a serial number below 150000 there is a bolt in baffle available that will dramatically reduce the amount of blow out from the front of your machine. You can order the baffle kit under part number 1-401002 from your local Exmark dealer. However if your machine has a serial number above 150000 the baffle is already welded in place.

If your serial number plate is missing the baffle looks similar to a bird wing and runs across the front of the mower deck, on the underside, between the blades and the “V” that forms the front of the deck. Do not mistake this baffle for the round baffles that all decks have to the rear of the mower deck.

If you have the baffles in place I would begin by switching to a solid airfoil blade when side discharging or bagging. You may also need to adjust your height of cut, making sure that the front lip of the mower deck is not higher than the rear. This would also apply to mulching. You may also try lowering your height of cut.

By answering the following questions we may be better able to reduce the amount of blow out you are experiencing. Are you side discharging, mulching or bagging? What type of blade are you using? What height are you cutting at? Do you have a fixed deck Metro or Viking or do you have a floating deck Metro HP or Turf Tracer HP or a riding mower. If you have a fixed deck how many spacer to you have between the spindle shaft and the blade. What type of grass are you cutting and what region of the country are you in.

Thank you

Terry

8. dlandscaping

from mass

i dont know of the serial number so i need to check for the baffle next time i mow. i am using a fixed deck metro i am mowing with the factory installed blades and i have 2 spacers between the blades and spindle and 3 on the front casters i am thinking of lowering the mower since the summer heat is about over i usually bag but have been discharging a few lawns lately i am located in massachusetts and i cut all types of grass and weed

9. eXmark

DL,

My recommendation would be to first switch to the Exmark solid airfoil blade. If you are running a 48" deck order P/N 1-413438. The solid airfoil blade will reduce blow out in most conditions, with or without the baffle bagging or side discharging. I would be surprised if your mower did not have the baffle in it at this time.

If your bagging you should also be aware that all grass catchers must be able to "breath". The Exmark GC36 grass catcher utilizes a double layer mesh design, some aftermarket grass catchers are single layer or either aluminum, steel or plastic. In all cases the grass catchers are designed to let air out and grass in. If the pores, mesh, or weave of the catcher become plugged with dirt, grass etc. the bag will no longer allow the air to escape. When this occurs the airflow backs up and pushes it's way out the front of the mower deck carrying grass and debris with it creating blow out.

Thanks

Terry

10. eXmark

dlandscaping,

You should check to make sure that the blade tip is not higher in the front than in the rear. The reason I say this is that you said that you have 3 spacer in the front. That may put the blade tip too high in the front and this would cause a bad blow out problem.

Ideally you want the mower a little higher in the rear. I would measure the blades to make sure.

Thanks, Fred.