48" exmark metro vs. other similar mowers...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SB Maintenance, Feb 22, 2006.

1. SB Maintenance

SB Maintenance LawnSite Member

I have a 48" exmark metro which has always worked well for me, not looking to go Hydro.
    I am going to sell this used machine to my brother for $1500 (it's about 10 yrs old, is this a fair asking price? I only do between 10-15 accounts each year).

In turn, I would like to purchase a new 48" and I'm not sure what I'm looking at for prices (exmark, Deere, Ferris, Scag, etc..).

Let me know what I'll be paying for these different models, belt driven 48".

Thanks bros!
    -SB:drinkup:

2. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

I just saw the Bobcat Classic. That's a belt driven with a 1 inch belt. I thing it was 1699 or 1799. The only difference is the belt/pulley assembly looks a little weak on a large machine. I think the bigger belt width is a 2" and then the price is 2500.

3. SB Maintenance

SB Maintenance LawnSite Member

From what I've been reading around the site, I'm looking at between 2500-3000 for a new, belt-driven 48". I think my belts are 1" on my metro, not sure, but I'll check.
    thanks for the relpy...would love to hear more opinions...
    -SB:drinkup:

4. Signature Landscaping1

Signature Landscaping1 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

paid $2500 for my new lesco 48'' w/b before the new year, the prices went up $100 in 06, now there goin for $2600, awesome machines.
    www.lesco.com

5. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob-Cat Professional Grade truly is the best of the best in terms of belt drive WB mowers. I have a 48" Bob-Cat WB belt drive mower with the 15HP Kawasaki V-Twin engine and I LOVE it!!!:cool2: Now, don't get the Bob-Cat Classic confused with the Bob-Cat Professional Grade. I have the professional grade Bob-Cat, it is built heavier, has the double wide belts (a must if the conditions are wet), and has bigger drive tires (less turf tearing), than the Bob-Cat classic. My Bob-Cat is truly built like a tank, has a fantastic quality of cut, and lays down an awesome stripe!!!:weightlifter: The only downside to the Bob-Cat Professional Grade is the price, I got mine for $3,300 brand new, 2 years ago. I think they go for around $3,450 now. If your budget is a little tight, look into Toro Proline mowers. I have a 36" Toro Proline belt drive WB mower with the 13HP Kawasaki V-Twin engine. My Toro Proline also has the double wide belts, is built like a tank, and gives a fantastic quality of cut and stripe!!! I bought my Toro Proline last spring for $2,600. I would highly reccommend you get either a Bob-Cat Professional Grade, or if you're a little tighter on budget, get a Toro Proline. Hope this helps!:usflag:

6. gslawncare

gslawncare LawnSite Member

The last post mentioned the pro model of the bobcat. This is the one Russo's Power Equipment in Schiller Park, IL is selling for 2499.00. Kawasaki 15 They'll freight ship.

7. ccll

ccll LawnSite Member

I don't think you can go wrong with the Exmark, I owned a Metro HP 48" floating deck belt drive a couple of years back and have 2 Turf Tracer HP's now. I just haven't found anything that's as comfortable to operate, the ECS handles are great, or that has the cut quality as the Exmark's, as far as walkbehinds are concerned. I think when I bought the Metro HP it was about $3500, I would think you should still be able to find a fixed deck Metro for $2800-$3000.

8. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

I think your giving the screw to your brother on the price IMO.

kc

9. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I agree $1,500 is way too much for a 10 year old mower. Maybe if it's is in fairly good condition for a machine that old I'd say $700- $900< maybe a little high but who knows.

Rob