48" Exmark W/B Mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BMurray, Jan 18, 2008.

1. BMurray

BMurray LawnSite Member

I have been calling around to dealers around me and I have found two of these machines for sale. One is a belt drive 12.5 hp kawa for $995 while the other is a dual hydro for $2250. My question is which would you choose? Also what are the most common problems with a belt drive? Are these problems fairly simple to fix?

Brian

2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

dual hydro, but as you can see they are way more expensive. Common problems with belt drive: most have reverse assist, not a true gear dedicated for reversing, they slip terribly bad when cutting wet grass or terrain (there are exceptions of course), there are others, these are the first 2 that came to mind....

3. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

The hydro will be twice as maneuverable then the belt. U will def save time cutting with the hydro and they are easier on ur hands and body.

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

12.5 hp on a 48"? is that enough? I got a 15HP on a 36" that's plenty but there have been times when even that bogged down and so I had to go slower.. double cut etc.

5. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

You don't say what engine is on the hydro model. But, the 12.5hp engine on the belt drive means the machine is many years old, perhaps more than ten. Also, you don't say the condition of either one. Maybe you just got the information by phone, and have yet seen them.

You need to take a close look at them. If you have no experience with w/b mowers, find somebody who does know about them. Take them with you to make a good examination. They should know well the things to check. If there are major repairs needed before putting them into service, then you will need to add those costs (part, labor?) to the initial cost.

If you have to go by yourself, learn all you can about them, age, engines, models, hours (probably no hour meter, though) etc. Take numerous pics and post them here. That will be more helpful than the very brief description you have provided so far.

6. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you here for the long haul buy the hydro you wonÂ’t regret it:drinkup:

7. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd get the belt if this is your first time out and if ONLY you have a handful of lawns, you can always more up and have this belt drive as a spare. At least for your first year and save that extra 1500 bucks for a good leaf blower or a bagger for the belt.

8. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

I'd keep shopping. 12.5hp on a 48 is severely underpowered, it's marginal on a 36" if the grass is anything even approaching long or thick.

9. BMurray

BMurray LawnSite Member

Yeah I have yet to see either. I was also surprised it only had 12.5 hp on the 48". I will definitely be taking pics to post here. So it looks like 12.5 isnt enough basically? Also to the poster who asked about the hydro its a twin cylinder Kawasaki. So it looks like its better to get the hydro? I doubt I will get more than 12-15 lawns a week though. So does that factor into the equation or is the 12.5 hp still not enough?

thanks for all the help
    Brian

10. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Just depends on how long you want to spend doing the lawns. On mine (12.5hp, 36") if it was very long you were down in 2nd gear which is about after dinner walk for speed. Takes a while to do 1/2 acre at that speed.:laugh: