48" Ferris W/B Scraping Noise

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snap12.5, Jul 12, 2008.

1. snap12.5

snap12.5 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've got a 4 year old Ferris Belt Drive that is making some constant squeaking/scraping noise. It makes this noise with the blades off and on. I think that I narrowed it down to some of the pulleys that are mounted directly under the engine. Has anyone ever had this problem? Are some of these pulleys likely to wear out?

Any guidance would be appreciated. Thanks

2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

i had the same problem on my tthp. except it only made the noise when the blades were engaged. turned out to be some worn out bearings and a worn out idler pulley.

3. Scagman61

Scagman61 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

dura to the max is right. idler puller is squeaking when running and holding on for dear life when under load.

4. snap12.5

from Ohio

Doesnt the idler pulley get engaged only when the blades are turned on? This squeaking noise is heard when traveling to and from the trailer with blades off.

5. dura to the max

from georgia

could liely be a bad bearing in the pulleys that drive the tranny or hydros.

6. snap12.5

from Ohio

those bearings cant be greased right?
    is that something i can fix myself? or should i just take it in?

thanks

7. dura to the max

from georgia

mine couldnt be greased, im not too familiar w/ ferris so idk, i could have changed mine, but the shop had it in 2-3 hrs rather than the 6-7 i would have taken. i would take it in and have it done so that you have the mower back quickly, and if something goes wrong you have a "warranty" of sorts.