48" HUSTLER WB OR Super Surfer

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by bottlefed89, Mar 7, 2004.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

not sure if this is a decent place to ask without getting a biased answer, but I think I am going to bite it and buy a 48" walk behind this year. I went to the dealer I'll buy from toady and he had a 48" hustler wb with the 17hp kaw. as well as a super surfer with the same kaw. I like the cut a hustler gives, but didn't see much difference with the ss. My concerns with the hustler are that it is L O N G. I think this could be a problem at some of the residential lawns. I like the layout and controls of the SS much better, fromm anyone who uses either, why would you pick one over the other. They were both 03's the hustler was $4500 with 4 hrs. The SS was $4800 with 6 hrs. Hustler had a few scratches, SS looked brand new.
    As far as what I'll mow, I'll do some cleanup in the spring, and then attend to the pickiest people in town. Striping and looks are very important. thanks
    greg
    bottlefed89@hotmail.com

2. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't go wrong with the Hustler. I love mine with the 23hp.
    Add a bulllrider or other castored sulky. Once you get the hange of the controls ther is none better. the longer machine will give you a smoother ride and cut. In tight areas you can take the sulky off or walk along side.

swbcutting.jpg

3. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Greg, why do you think Chrysler boasts about that their cars are longer??? why do you think race cars are longer. Longer gives you a smoother ride. On the opposite en of the scale, why do think a Jeep rides so bad??? It's too short. The longer wheelbase on the Hustler keeps the rocking front to rear at a minimum. In fact, this is the problem with all the Standers, they are too short. They are fine on smooth property, but on bumpy stuff, they are just like riding a bucking bronco. And, since you can't hold the controls of the stander, but are forced to grip with just your thumb, control is ever harder. That's another great part of the Hustler, which is you can wrap both hands tightly around the H bar and fully stablize your body to keep your body from moving front to back.
    DP

4. bottlefed89

I agree, but handling doesn't do much for me in yards that are too small to turn those beasts around.

5. Doc Pete

If the yards are too small for the Hustler, they are too small for the super surfer, too.
    DP

6. bottlefed89

what's the length of the hustler with a sulke??

7. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Depends on the sulky.
    I am sure Pete or Paul can give you a measurement with the Bull Rider brand attached.
    This picture should give you a good idea though.

Pj

[​IMG]

8. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

I currently use a Wright Stander-very similar to the super surfer-and a wb. They each have strong points. A few thoughts: I'm not sure if the Hustler is a hydro but a belt-drive wb will be much less maneuverable. I believe the Surfer will have a faster ground speed. Wb's are easier for inexperienced operators to drive without "scuffing" the grass on turns. Wb's are easier to use on hills. The wb operator can rock the machine onto it's rear wheels to clear obstacles easily. Length doesn't appear to affect the ride much (the wheelbase is close to the same, the Surfer just doesn't have a big handle sticking out). Surfer fits on the trailer better. I guess I'm saying you would be pleased with either and even more pleased if you had both.

9. Doc Pete

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm, guess you've made it clear us you're fully qualified to comment on the Hustler.... NOT.
    DP

10. Doc Pete

By that statement you make it clear you are not familiar the Hustler. With that in mind, you cannot comment with any credibility on the orginal question. Please make a note of that.
    Thanks,
    DP