48 Hydro Motor Size

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakesidecutter, Jul 3, 2007.

1. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a new/ used Hyro 48. I am seeing everything from 15-19 Kaw. Is 15 really enough for that much deck? I see them on a 36 but have concerns about a 48. Is anyone using a 15 hp Kaw. on a 48" deck? I have mainly seen them on Exmark and Gravely.

2. lakesidecutter

lakesidecutter LawnSite Member

Sorry I forgot to mention this will be for a WB.

3. RTallday

RTallday LawnSite Member

If it were me, i would go with the 17HP kawi motor. In reality, the 15HP should be enough for a 48 inch hydro, but the 17 couldnt hurt. Remember, back in the day all there was were the 12.5 kawis and later on came the 14 kawi. -Rich

4. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a SCAG 48 wb with a kohler 15, its more than enough. However, depending on the price difference, maybe get the 17....but think about how much extra money youre paying per horsepower.

5. bobcat175

bobcat175 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you plan on using a velke? If so, I'd go with at least the 17hp. I use to have an older 14 kawi on a 48" hydro with a velke. Fine on the flats but add a hill and tall grass and I was wishing for more hp. Although my 14 was a single cyl. while the 15 is a twin so way more torque....I'd still stick with the 17.