48 in back or pickup truck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Feb 13, 2001.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ma

Anybody ever put there 48" wb in the back of there full size pickup truck? I was thinking of those solo days I have and maybe it would be slightly easier than hauling the trailer.
  2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

I've done it before! I have a pair of aluminum ramps allow for loading/unloading. Only problem is it gets crowded in the bed of the truck with gas cans, tool box, trimmer, blower, ramps, etc.

I also used to run a Nissan with a Redi Ramp set up. Slick as heck. I could fit a 36" w.b. or two rear baggers for my rezi crew.
  3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

There is a LCO here in town that has a bed extension that gives him a 10' bed. It has a fold up drop down ramp. He carries a 21" and 48" John Deere units around plus gas, trimmer, blower with plenty of room. He has carried another 48" around before, but it looked really cramped, but still it was all in there.

He most definatly takes up less room than a truck and trailer. The cost and up keep is also surely lower. It is really a sweet setup.
  4. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I have never put a 48" in my truck but I did run my 36" out of my truck last season. It worked like a charm. I have seen a 48" and a 36" in the back of a full size pick up and I am still not sure exactly how they did that....

If getting it between the wheel wells is an issue you can always back it on and let the deck ride partially on the tailgate and the handles toward the front. Just make sure you secure it down very, very well....

Note: I work for the fire department and have seen first hand what a 21" lawn boy will do when barely secured. It went thru the back window of the Nissan Pickup and landed in the cab. Fortunately no one was hurt. Imagine if it had gotten out of the pickup and went through someone else's window or struck a pedestrian. Can you say "LAWSUIT"? (Yes, the lawn boy was trashed but held up much better than I would have expected.)
  5. lawman

lawman LawnSite Member

I got my 48 inch emark in my ford last year. It just fit. Not bad getting it in and out with the ramps eather.
  6. Redmowers

Redmowers LawnSite Member

My 48" just fits in the pickup with a bedliner ,real tight.It cannot move from side to side and a rachet strap held it from going forward or backward.Trailer is a whole lot handier though.
  7. Please forgive my old shot worn out greedy boards. I am getting the material list ready to make a new setup that will be weather tight.

This will give you new guys an idea on how and where to hang stuff. The plastic storage box was bought at a garage sale for $20. This is where my pesticides are locked down and any spilage is contained inside.

Can anyone see where my spreader is located?

In the bed of the truck the normal load is a 44" walkbehind with a stand up sulky which is set up with a electric spreader and sprayer if needed and a 21" trimming mower.

Then depending on the job I load a 62" and/or a 52" walkbehind on a 12ft open trailer. With the trailer hooked up I can just pull the ramp gate down into the trailer to have access to the 44" wb.

My trailer has storage for two hand blowers and two string trimmers so I have two self contained mowing setups and can drop the trailer off at an industrial site with a laborer while I go about doing small-mid size homesites by myself.

8. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

I usually piggy back one of my 21" on top of my 36" with a second 21" in front of it. I also built my own tool box that holds everything else including my trimmers. I don't have a trailer right now. Being in the mountains of WV the roads are very narrow and most people don't have their own driveway so the less vehicle i have to park the better.
  9. motor86

motor86 LawnSite Member

Anyone ever had a problem with the tailgate cables breaking under the load from the machine on it? I have heard of this once and was worried about loading something into my Toyota. I noticed the person in the above picture does not use a tailgate.

MIDSOUTH LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to use the trailer. I wouldn't mess with the hassle of hauling that mower in the back of the truck, buy a short trailer if you don't want to haul a 16' around on those days.