48 in scag forsale

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Aug 28, 2003.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you guys think a 7 year old scag w/b belt drive. 150 hrs. 1 owner, homeowner. he said very well maintained. 1500 bucks?Is this a good buy. I am in the market for a 38 but if this fits in a gate i havei might get it.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

chef--Idunno about your market but that price might not be bad for NY.

7 Years old aint great but 150 hours is pretty cool.

does the machine look real, real good? yes? then I say give it a good demo, low ball the guy and load it up.

bear in mind that a machine of that type can be had for about $2500 and has a two year warranty.

good luck.

GEO

3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

The blade belt adjustment is harder to deal with. It does not have the electronic clutch I am sure.

How does the blades engage?

Lever on the left side or a up and down toggle switch. Doubt it would be a yellow push pull.

What motor? 12.5 kawi?

4. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok. I see. I havent realy checked it out. just saw it in paper and called the guy. Its about a 2 hr drive.

5. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Price sounds great, but the years and hours don't make sense.
    Check it out very closely, test run is a must.
    If it's been setting for any extended period of time, you're probably looking at replacing any & everything rubber, external bearings, tires, cables are possible.
    Engine running? If not, walk away.
    If yes, check for oil leaks. Check deck for cracks, inspect underside too.
    Happy Shopping

6. Red Dwarf

Red Dwarf LawnSite Member

Belt drive....yuck. You'll probably have to replace the belts. That's pretty old, they're probably cracking and I doubt if he'd have changed them after 150 hours

Also remember, hour meter could have been added at any time.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Way too much $$$ IMO...a grand at the most.

8. phillylawnking1

phillylawnking1 LawnSite Member

Exmark Explorer 52'' deck 20 hp kohler with 250 hours

i-1.jpg

9. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

wow that this is hot will come down and take it off your hands gor 1500

10. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a Scag 48" belt similar to what you're describing..... probably simialr age, similar usage until I got into the biz last year. I have only 15 hrs on mine...... thats because after the 3rd hr meter, my dealer told me they've had problems getting hr meters to last on that machine, so I gave up........ only other problem was a PTO clutch that quit, in my opinion, way too early. Otherwise, I like the machine, and as a backup, or a primary for smaller lots, or less usage, it's a good machine.

Where is this guy located???? Theres a similar sounding machine advertised near me (Dutchess County), but no price listed.