48 inch ferris 15hp

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawncare18, May 17, 2006.

1. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone mow with a 48inch 15hp ferris walkbehind... been looking at them .. guess they are going for 3,400 . Wondering if people like em hate em how they stripe etc... prob also going to get a sulky for it...
  2. exmark01

exmark01 LawnSite Member

the lawn service that cuts my yard i think uses that exact mower with a sulky. they cut fantasticly and are powerfull mowers. if you decide to buy one, you will not be dissapointed!:)
  3. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

My neighbor (homeowner) has one. His gives an okay stripe and cut, but is really hard to handle. His hands are super tired after using it on just his lawn. It seems like a pretty good machine except for the handling..I'd go with a Bob-Cat or Toro Proline if I were you!:headphones: :weightlifter:
  4. KINGjosh

KINGjosh LawnSite Senior Member

15hp is too low for a 48" IMO
  5. lawncare18

lawncare18 LawnSite Senior Member

It is a 15hp kawasaki ... seems to have plenty of power....
  6. YotaNate

YotaNate LawnSite Member

I have a 48" DD Hydro with the 15hp Kaw. It does fine. Slows down just a bit, in really long thick grass (like over 6 or 8") My smallest yard is 1/2 acre, biggest is 3 acres. Doesn't bother my hands really at all.
  7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

Get the Hydro.
  8. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Gravely 48" w/ a Kawasaki 15hp - it cuts just fine.
    I've been running double Gators on it with nary a problem.
    Sure it pulls down a little on thick stuff... but not much.
  9. Dashunde

Dashunde LawnSite Senior Member

Oh... and Go with the Ferris.
    They are all over St. Louis climbing our hills and leaving a nice cut everywhere I've seen their work.
    I dont know about the stiffness of their controls, but they look very smooth and steady.
    Gravely has treated me very well, but I would go with a Ferris 48 or 52 if I had it to do over.