48 inch lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnboy, May 26, 2001.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering if any of you that own a 48 inch exmark lazer noticed that it doesn't cut as well as the other exmark mowers. Ever since I have owned mine I have been unhappy with the cut. Do you have the same problems? I have brought it into the dealer about 10 times complaing about it and they always tell me that it runs like it should. In my eyes it doesn't cut as well as the other mowers.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

lawnboy,

I can remember a while back, a number of us telling you that you should go with a 52".

I may be wrong, but I think that the longer the blade, the better the cut. Aside from scalping on undulating terrain, a 72" will cut the best. The reason I feel this way is that there is a greater area of "suction" created by the blades. A 48" just doesn't have the deck area of a 60" etc.

Also, don't know for sure, but as for blade tip speed, my 60" has the same diameter PTO pulley and deck pulley. This given, a formula from another post puts 18,500 fpm @ 3600 with a 20 1/2 " blade.

Now with a 48" is there a bigger engine pulley VS deck to get 16 1/2" blades up to 18,500 fpm? eXmark says all decks are 18500, but I'm not so sure?

Lastly, are you using OEM blades? What height are you cutting at? Are you getting proper RPM's (3750 free load)? Are you simply mowing too fast for conditions? I have found that solid lift foil blades to be the best for my 60".

3. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

It wasn't me that you told to get a 48' but anyways what are OEM blades and solid foil blades? We Cut most of our lawns at 3inches. I do agree that the longer the blade the better the cut. In the past we only used 48inch mowers, but recently I purchased a 60inch and I am amazed at the difference. The lazer however just doesn't cut the same as the other 48inch mowers in my view. I am up for any suggestions.

4. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I run a 48" tiger cub, with doubles. I don't have any problems. Try the doubles and see if that helps. ;)

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I had this problem with my 52 in lazer when it was new and it went to the dealer 5 times to straighten it out. I e-mailed exmark and one of the suggestions they had was to use the low lift or solid air foil blades, and to have the rpms checked with a load and without a load on them. The last time I took to the dealer I was ranting like a mad man and they finally fixed the machine, adjusted the high rpms or something. This might be where your problem is, not running at high enough rpms.

6. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

My eXmark cuts great (I always have sharp, balanced blades on it) but with my blades engaged I'm only around 3360 RPM. Is it better to have it less RPM as long as it cuts good, or take it up to 3600 (engaged) {have read in other post how to raise the RPMs on this KAW 17, but haven't really looked into it.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

You should be at least at 3600 RPM's when blades are engaged. Ideally you shouldn't see them drop below 3600 when actually mowing. There is adjustment needed here for you. There are cooling concerns at such a low RPM. Do you run a tach while mowing or are you just using a shop tach? What is you free load RPM's?

8. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I purchased a "Tiny Tach" , this season (10 hrs. on it) not sure how accurate it is, but I think under no load, it's about 3450 (if I remember right)

9. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

oneEXMARKfan
    I would at least want the rpms to what they call for from the factory,and I believe it is 3600 rpms as dixie 1 stated. I have the turf tracer 48 in 17 kaw and the rpms were about 1400 off from the factory and the unit didn`t cut any good until the rpms were raised.

10. oneEXMARKfan

oneEXMARKfan Banned

I guess the only reason I let the RPMs stay down, was that my favorite 21" push mower (honda) kinda reved alittle too high and died (12 years ago) ........Haven't even really looked at how to adjust it........I'll search old post and try figure out how.