1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48" metro hp anti scalp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by theronz, Aug 28, 2004.

1. theronz

theronz LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a 48" metro hp and love the cut and power of this machine. however sometimes while cutting the sides of the deck cut into the grass very deeply. I have the deck and anti-scalp rollers in their correct positions when cutting, and the tires are inflated properly. I was wondering if this is just technique or is there something i can do. what is purpose of anti-scalp if this can occur?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

The anti-scalp rollers are intended to allow the deck to raise up in the event they encounter a rise in the ground. This prevents the front edge of the deck or the sides from scraping away the grass and soil. To a great degree they can also prevent the blade from cutting these areas too low.

The grass should be being cut evenly across the deck; meaning from side to side there shouldn't be an high or low areas. If the deck is cutting at at an angle the full width of the deck; meaning the right side is cutting at 3" and the left is cutting at 4" then there is a good chance that something is preventing the deck and/or chassis from sitting level with the ground.

I'm not sure what you mean by the deck is cutting "deeply" at the sides of the deck.

I'll be in the office today and out for the rest of the week. You can call me at 1-800-667-5296. You'll probably need to have me paged as well. Please give me a call so I can get a better description of what your talking about.

3. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

terry, i think he might mean if you have a slight incline across a yard, like where two property lines adjoin, and you have the edge of the deck in the lowest portion of the area, it tends to "cut into" the turf more. maybe i can explain it better on the phone, need to call you anyway.
  4. advantagelawn

advantagelawn LawnSite Member

if you're in GA, you're cutting bermuda. bermuda will do that if the ground is not perfectly level. It is so wirey that it just cuts into it and does not lay it over. Nothing wrong with the mower, just how the grass cuts. Maybe try cutting a different direction.