48" metro hp Squeaks will not fo away!

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MICHIGANMOWER, Mar 17, 2002.

MICHIGANMOWER LawnSite Member

I have a 48" exmark metro hp walk behind and when I use it for a while so it warms up it starts to make a extremely loud and high pitch squeaking sound. I first thought it was the bearings so I replaced them. Squeak was still there then I discovered that the brake band were pretty much shot so I replaced them it helped for a few days and now the squeak is back. But if I spray the brakes with WD40 it will go away for a minute until the wd40 dries up. So my question is what is causing this annoying problem?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thank you for taking the time to drop us a note. Extremely loud and high pitched may be an understatement. I don't know if it's the volume or the pitch but it's about as pleasant as a cat sliding down a chalkboard. (not that I'd ever force a cat to slide down a chalk board but you get the idea)

The problem is most likely the bushing on the brake band mounting. It is probably binding and causing the band to rub against the drum creating heat, which expands the band and drum creating more drag. Once the band and drum get hot enough and the drag increases you and everyone with in a block of you begin to hear the "squeak" your referenced.

Have your dealer inspect the brake band mounts and look at service bulletin number 98-38. I would also have the drum inspected for excessive or unique wear.

Please feel free to contact me if I can be of any further assistance.

Thank you