48" Metro Hp Wheel Squeak

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Bugsy22473, Jul 25, 2003.

1. Bugsy22473

Bugsy22473 LawnSite Member

I have a new Metro HP 48 " with ECS. The drive wheels have a squeak while in any gear 1 thru 5 in motion. I took both drive wheels off and greased the wheel hub zerks. I still have a squeak. I think it might have somthing to do the brake linkage.
    What if anything is left to grease or oil? I would like to do it myself if I can. I want to save a trip to the dealer.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bugsy,

First if it's a new machine and under warranty I'd take it back to the dealer.

That is a tough one to diagnose. We did have some machines that had a bushing that would hang up and cause the brakes to squeal. You want to look at the arm that mounts to the brake band. This arm is also connected to the linkage coming from the drive lever. The bushing in that arm is what I would inspect first. You may want to back off the brake adjustment and work the arm by hand to make sure it is pivoting freely.

I would also look at the transmission belt for signs of slippage. Be careful not to over tighten it however. The transmission belt should be adjusted with about 1/2" of deflection with 3 pounds of pressure on the belt. It feels loose to most of us.

I'd look at the brakes first. Let me know what you find.

Thanks

Terry

3. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i had te same thing happen. the brakes werent releasing all the way and the band was staying in coontact with the drum, causing the squeak, you can push the rod down by hand to see if that is the problem

4. Bugsy22473

The right brake lever was hanging up. You were right. It's going to the dealer tomorrow. Sorry I took so long to post this. I was away for a couple of days.

5. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

o took myne back to the dealer for this problem. worked for a day or 2 then started again. i'm not going to take it to the dealer 45 miles one way every 2 or 3 days to have this looked at.

where the wing nut is to adjust the brake control rod, i put a zip strap around the wing nut rod and the control handle rod to keep them from "floating" this causes the tension spring on the drive pulley to use it's tension to release the brake. It's been working fine every since.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Guys,

I just got back from looking at one of these. The only thing I can see is that there is a possibility of dirt and water working it's way into the bushing. The first thing I would try is to spray the pivot with a good spray lubricant, something with maybe a silicone base. Use the spray "straw" to help ensure you're getting as much of the spray in the pivot as possible. If it doesn't clear up I'd then consider unbolting the pivot and inspecting it for rust and debris.

If this is a chronic problem I'd recommend spraying the pivot weekly and possibly annually unbolt it and clean the area thoroughly.

Thanks

Terry

7. Bugsy22473

I just got the mower back from the dealer. One day turnaround. The brake arm was bent slighty and when the brakes got hot it rubed up against the frame causing it to hang up and get stuck causing the wheel squeak. The dealer strightened or replaced the brake arm and lubed the pivot bushing. No more squeak. Thanks for all your help.

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

my lesco belt drive had a squeek coming from one side last year. I was looking all over the wheel and pully area trying to figure out wich bearing was going out. then I noticed. that the spring the tightens the idler pully was touching the pully. I sid it over a bit on the bolt it hooks to and the noise was gone. some times it's something to simple.

9. bearhunter01

bearhunter01 LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

I had the same problem (squeek), Took it to the dealer on two different occasions. Had the prolem come back a third time.
    I told the dealer I'm not paying more $ out on this same problem.
    They said it it must be a bad bearing in the brake arm. Well I went to take it apart and noticed they had the bolt that holds the brake arm too tight which wasn't allowing the arm to come back on its own! I backed it off a 1/4 turn and Baam! its fixed and hasn't happened since. Perhaps that bolt tighten on its own? or perhaps the dealer screwed up (at my cost)?

Now I have clogged jets in the carb and the dealer I bought Lazers and metros from says it will be 3 days before they can fix..
    maybe its time to switch dealers??????????