1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48'' mower through 40'' gate

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BanvilleLawnCare, Oct 23, 2007.

1. BanvilleLawnCare

BanvilleLawnCare LawnSite Member

Today I saw a LCO get through a 40'' gate with a 48'' mower. The mower was an exmark metro. The guy backed the mower up partially through the gate, then lifted the front of the mower about 3 feet and turned the mower so that he was through. It was all done in a matter of seconds and as if it was a common procedure. Do other people do this or was that weird? It made me think maybe I could have an extra foot of cutting width.
  2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Magic? I have a hard time getting a 48" Walker through 4 foot gates! But there's no picing that up and weeving it though either... I'd have to see the gate trick myself to understand how it was done, honestly.
  3. flattoplawncare

flattoplawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, This works i do it all the time.
  4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

yea same here. pretty easy to get the hang of it we do it all the time.
  5. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

cant believe i never thought of trying this...
  6. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about trying that before also. I have two yards, where I need just about another 1inch to get into the back yards. Because of those two yards, I didn't sell my older mower, in order to mostly pay off my new mower, which was my plan at the beginning of this past year.
  7. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I've been sweet talking my customers into thinking that it's in their best interest to put in a bigger gate. :)
  8. dwlah

dwlah LawnSite Senior Member
    from Argo Al

Talked to one of my customers about putting in a wider gate at her rental house this fall /winter Shes all for it told me to just treat the place like it was mine and do what I need to do to make it easy on myself
  9. GLLawns

GLLawns LawnSite Member

I tell my people that if they pay for the new gate, I will put it on for no charge. They usuall get a big smile and say sure. By the way I only offer this for my customers that are under contract with me.
  10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Was it hydro or gear driven? My hydro 49 weights in around 600-700 pounds. I have a tought times getting up larger curves. Even with all my 240#'s hanging on the handle bars its tough to keep it in the air for a prolonged period of time.