48" or 52" exmark lazer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dmk395, Jun 10, 2002.

1. dmk395

dmk395 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

I am leaning towards purchasing the 48" lazer, same blades and cutting width as my metro...any thoughts as to why it would be worthwhile to get a 52" instead?

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Which metro are you running? If its the 36", the blades are the same as the 52" not the 48".

I can offer you a few reasons why the 52" over the 48". I have both. 52" will go anywhere the 48" will. I haven't had any problems with that. But the 52" is the 9.5 mph where the 48" is 8 mph. You get more inches and faster speed. 52" has more trim side area.

3. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

Hoss said it all about the 52" Lazer HP. I own this machine and looove it! A friend of mine has the 48" and everytime I talk to him he some how tells me how he wishes he would have just gotten the 52". I think the 52" leaves alot better cut too compared to the 48....maybe just personal opinion, but I do know that the 52 cuts great.

4. Pro-Cut Lawns

Pro-Cut Lawns LawnSite Member

I have the 48" and wish I had the 52. I dont have any problems with my 48" and the cut is great. One thing I dont like about the 48 is you can't buy some of the accessories for it that you can the 52" such as the OCDC and striping kit.

5. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I regret every day about not buying the 52" walkbehind. I could use those extra 4 inches and they stripe better also atleast I think so. Plus like 65hoss said go with the extra speed.

6. we have the 48 hp it cuts great stripes great but like everyone else we wish we had that extra inchs on that trim side and that extra speed.
    Only reason we got the 48 to start with is we needed a mower like yesterday, and the only one in stock was the 48 lazer hp. We wanted the full size lazer 60 inch but every model was sold out in full sized lazers an the lazer hp's.

But like i said it does cut beautiful lack of trimm side is one big pain in the a$$ though.

7. tazz

tazz LawnSite Member
    from georgia

The 52 inch is the bomb !!! it fits almost all locations and the extra trimmig on the offset deck really helps. The 300.00 extra you spend returns in a few days!

8. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

If you already have a 48 inch metro, why not jump up to a 60 inch? I can put my 60 inch lazer, just about any place i could put my 48 inch scag. I barely take my walkbehind off the trailer. Its still good for back up, or future properties i may pick up with gates, but i am so glad i got a 60 inch over a 52 inch.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to second MDB.

Go with a 60". Unless your stuck with 49" gates! I'll put my 60" anywhere a 52" will go, and get done quicker! That 8" really adds up!

48" No trim side offset at ALL! No options!
    52" Little better trim side offset.
    60" About the ideal amount of offset. Higher resale value!
    72" Has almost Too much offset, but would come in handy in a few situations!

10. perfection lawn care

perfection lawn care LawnSite Member

Go with the 52" over the 48". I currently run a 48" scag wb and always said I would not go any bigger. Than I demoed a 52" tiger cub, and I loved it.

The extra on the offset works awesome trimming. A fellow lco I know bought the lazer hp 48" and my personal opinion is that I would set it on fire and watch it burn. His 36" wb belt driven mowers were far better.

I am not sure if there is that much of difference between exmarks 48" & 52", but from what I read on this site there must be. You will regret not going with the 52" in the future, if you go with the 48". Demo them both you'll see for yourself.