48" or 52" mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zz4guy, Sep 21, 2007.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a 36 that I do smaller lots with and it works great. I'm looking to get a 48 or 52 hydro walk behind with a velke to cut down my time on large properties.

The 52 might cover more ground, but the 48 seems like it could get into spaces much better (for example 4' gates).

What do you think is better? 48 or 52 walk behind.

2. desii

desii LawnSite Member

I have some 52's and would recommend them over the 48, but that's JMO. We do mostly commercial, though. One of the 52's was in the shop last week and I had a 48 loaner and it seemed like it took forever.

At the same time, if you have gates to worry about, the 48 may be your better bet. I guess it all depends on what will work on your properties better. One thing for sure, you will more productive on your jobs than you were with the 36..:) Again, JMO. (FYI: We don't have any 36's)

3. Joetownster

Joetownster LawnSite Member

do u think a 48" would even fit through your 4' gates anyway.... i just had the same prob but i went with a 54" over the 48".

4. elshauno

elshauno LawnSite Member

Keep the 36 to get into those tight spots and get a 52. I love my 52 and find it can get into most everything. But whatever fits you best. is the best way.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Get the 52

6. HS Football Rules

HS Football Rules LawnSite Member

You have the 36 for gated areas....get the biggest cutting deck that you can afford! The extra cost will evaporate into added productivity. This is the time for good deals so look at exmark and ferris in 52" and 60". The wider the
    wheel base, the better, on side hills. Also the bigger drive tires leave less tracks.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

This is why I think the 36" could be a mistake...
    Bigger decks cut more grass faster, a lot more.
    Heck with the gated areas, 4" gate please.

ok but ...
    The only 48" that is faster than a 52" is the fixed deck.
    That's because, unless they've changed and a lot of things HAVE changed so you need to check it, but back when the fixed deck weighed 300 lbs. vs. the float's 500 lbs., BIG difference, but you need 1,000 lawns cut under your belt before trying the fixed deck, and be prepared to spend some time learning a new machine.

Coming up from a small 3-foot deck operator I am not so sure the 4-foot fixed deck is a good choice, even though I'd have to guess the 3-footers are fixed?

There's not that much of a difference between 48 and 52...
    The 52 will do slightly more when compared to a float 48.
    But the 48" fits through MOST 4" gates, the 52" will not.
    And the 48 is faster so long it's a fixed deck model.
    Either way that's a big deck size increase, 44" would be a nifty float as well.
    That's all I have is 48" fixed.

Seeing how you have a 36", you might just get the 52" if they still make those.

8. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I dont see how you guys can get by w/o a 36. Half of my properties require I use a 36 because a 48 wouldn't fit. I have mostly homeowners though.

I actually bought a 54 Scag hydro last week for a great price but was wondering if I should give it up for a 48 due to space issues.

Sounds like I should keep it!

9. petekief

petekief LawnSite Senior Member

36 and 60 best combo

10. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I agree with ya zz4, I couldntget by without my 36 and will never go back to push mowing after having a 36. I do have quite a few with gates. I just had to decide whether to get a 48 or 52 and I went with the 48 just because it still fits into about 5 backyards that I did not want to have to get the 36 out on. I do mostly residential with a few businesses so having a few less inches on the zero turn doesnt really hurt me.