48 or 52 what do ya think?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jusmowin, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

I have about 20 or so yards ranging between 4000sqft to 18000sqft, and most have nice "trenched" beds with small open grass areas. But on the other hand, on my bigger yards they are mostly open w/ only foundation beds and a few trees in the yard. All of my yards have atleast a 36 inch gate which I use my 36 metro for so the back yards are not an issue . So My question is Which deck Do YOU think would be better for my application, a 48 or a 52 on a Exmark Lazer hp z.

2. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why not just get a bigger WB? Unless you can see spending the money only a Z for 20 lawns.

3. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the 52 with a striping roller and mulch kit-and the 23KAW.That would be a nice combo with your w/b.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I started out with a 52" my first time ever, but then I got a 48" and that is perfect size for large and small properties. I would go with a 48" WB and strap a sulky on it.

5. The Lawn Boy Pro

The Lawn Boy Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

52. Cant go wrong. If your mostly commercial, go for a 52 or 60.

6. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Yup, and why just a 52. The Hustler 54 is basically a 55". The SWB 54 is about $6,000 ready to go. We go over this time and again. IMO, the only reason to get a rider is if you are mowing for more than 1.5 hours straight without stopping, OR, you are bagging. And as far as mowing for that length of time, just mow a bit, then trim to breaks things up, then finish mowing. A WB/sulky can be a rider, out-front rider, and WB all in one package. A “Z” can only be a mid-mount rider, which is limiting, especially for the money.

sulky1.jpg

7. Ive run both the 48 and 52 lazer hp's and id go with the 52.The 48 has very little trim side .The 52 's superiour trim side makes it easier around lawn edgeing, landscaped areas, retaining walls etc.

Also the ground speed is faster on the 52 9.5 mph to the 48's 8.1mph .

8. Bai Bai

Bai Bai LawnSite Member

i have a 52" hydro and its great. However my 36" makes a much nicer cut especially if the lawn is uneven. I'm thinking about getting a 44". Hopefully thats the best of both worlds.Nice and fast cut on fairly even lawns. Just get a hydro and not gear drive. The extra couple thousand is worth it.

9. Jusmowin

Jusmowin LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the replys. I do only have 20 or so yards this year, but I hope to have anouther 10 to 15 more yards for next year. So seeing as how Im solo and I already have a 52 wb I think the cost of a Z would be well worth it as I plan on staying solo for a while. But again thanks for all the replys and keep them comming.

10. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I don't really see 35 lawns being worth a Z rider, especially since you already have the 52. Next time try giving us all the information, instead of hiding it. Sounds like you should really buy a 36 WB, instead of a Z and take on gated lawns...........