48" or 52" What's 4" more??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dafan6891, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Dafan6891

Dafan6891 LawnSite Member

Thinking of buying a Wright Stander from my local dealer. Not really sure if 52" would be better than 48". He has a 48" in stock for a good price. Now I am running a 52" hydro w/b. Can't imagine losing 4" would make that much difference. I am not a pro, but I cut all my relatives yards plus my own. A stander would be better for what I need. A lot of obstacles to go around (what a PITA). Oh well!

2. Mico Landscaping design

Mico Landscaping design LawnSite Member

Thinking of buying a Wright Stander from my local dealer. Not really sure if 52" would be better than 48". He has a 48" in stock for a good price. Now I am running a 52" hydro w/b. Can't imagine losing 4" would make that much difference. I am not a pro, but I cut all my relatives yards plus my own. A stander would be better for what I need. A lot of obstacles to go around (what a PITA). Oh well!

Well some people have some fence in yards that can handle a 52 inch and then there are some that can only handle 48.. i own 52 inch i like it.... belive it or not 4 inches is alot when u add it up on each pass... and 48 is nice to go around stupid obstacles and crap like that... but thats my 2 sense... :blob3:

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

If you're not going pro and only doing a few yards it would be better to go a little smaller. The time you're spending getting around obstacles with the 52 may be made up for by the ease of the 48.

4. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

48" is just right in my opinion. 52" is too small for big areas, and too big for small areas.

5. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

48 fits in a pickup if u need it to a 52 is a little faster but i would rather have a rider

6. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

A 52" will fit into a ford f350 pickup bed. It wont fit into a GMC, not sure on Dodge. I dont see how you are saying a 52" is too big to go around obstacles. I would say go bigger and finish faster. The 52" means a bigger trim side (? on the stander, theres no dealer around here.). THe only drawback to a 52" is in the stripes. There is an offset on one side of the tires. Why not go with the 52", I have one and am very happy with it.

7. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a 52" now.. And I really like it. But in the future, I'll probly buy either a 32-36" machine for "small" areas, and a 60" for larger areas. I would probly never buy a 48" machine.. To me, It's a useless size.. BTW I've heard from more than one member here that the Wright 48" machine suffers from really bad discharge and poor blade tip speed, compared to the rest of Wright's products.. But again, that's just what I've heard here..

8. ScCo

ScCo LawnSite Senior Member

I didn't say a 52" was too big to go around obstacles. I say it was to big for small places (example: 4 ft gates).

9. txlawnking

txlawnking LawnSite Bronze Member

Scco, Sometimes, a 48 won't go through a 4' gate either.. Especially if the gate is in an area that you can't manuever or approach the gate at an angle.. Hence the reason I believe it to be a useless size..A 32-36" machine will go virtually anywhere, and a 52-60" machine is more productive..

10. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I went from a 52 inch to a 48 this year and if you are mowing big proprties then 4'' add up after a while, I would stick with the 52