1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48" or 52" Wright Stander

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Aaron Marshall, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Aaron Marshall

Aaron Marshall LawnSite Member

I am looking at adding a stander next year, I don't have any issues with gates but I was wondering of those that had these which has a better cut, etc 48 or 52? I have a 60 inch walk behind so I dont need a big one. I will for sure get a floating deck (RH). Thanks for your imput
  2. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer told me that the 52" deck on pretty much any mower is the best cutting deck you can buy, especially on the Standers. And my dealer knows what he's talking about. But you should try and demo one.

MOHUSTLER LawnSite Bronze Member

Go with the 52, better resale value.
  4. Aaron Marshall

i tried a 52" great dane stander (used) this summer and it cut like crap. I had to go over most of the lawns twice to cut everything down. I replaced and tightend the belts, tried different blades, made sure engine was at proper rpm, etc and nothing helped, I gave it back to the guy. just wanted to make sure that everyone has good luck with 52" wright stander mowers.
  5. MileHigh

MileHigh LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think either one will cut as nice as your turf tracer, but I think the 52" stander could be more efficient than the turf tracer and obviously the 48".

I wouldn't know...but It's just 4 inches..cut quality is probably similar.jmo
  6. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

FWIW - Wright's RH (Rapid Height) design enables you to change height easily on a fixed deck. 'RH' is not synonymous with 'floating deck'.
  7. TNT LawnCare Inc.

TNT LawnCare Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

We have a 52 Wright stander with the 25 kawi it cuts very well ! It stripes nice too. I dont have a 48 yet but have heard it cuts very well too. I think you'd be happy with either one. Wright standers are very higly productive and efficent cutting machines. Will hold hills rather well and out perform any WB Mower.
  8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

The 48 doesn't have as much deck overhang right? This would leave a more defined stripe and scalp less.
  9. Aaron Marshall

Thanks for pointing this out, I don't know why but i assumed this was floating deck. Do they offer a floating deck model, I know gravley does right?
  10. jameson

jameson LawnSite Fanatic
    from PNW

For a floating deck, you'll have to upgrade to the Sentar, the Stander ZK or their mid-mount Z.