1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48" or 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Joel B., Nov 25, 2002.

1. Joel B.

Joel B. LawnSite Senior Member
    from MN

Looking at WBs and am wondering if there is a bigger difference than the obvious 4". Does that extra 4" really increase production or just scalp more? Is the extra 4" worth the price? What is the recommended horsepower for a 48" hydro WB?

Thanks as always,

Joel B.
  2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

We bought a 52inch WB due to the fact that we have a 52inch ZTR and so the stripping is about the same. Though we dont have many accounts that we need a small machine so we bought the 52inch. IT all depends on what type of accounts you are mowing. I would say for HP wise 17hp on a 52 is plenty, and for a 48 thats plenty 15hp im sure is good too. We paid $5200 for a Scag 52inch Hydro 17Kaw with vielkie.
    Do some searching too their is plenty of threads about this subject also.
    Good luck
  3. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

What brand are you considering? I understand certain brands have a higher blade tip speed do to longer blades on the 52. Also if you are looking at the exmarks, you maybe better served by getting a 52 as you can get a baffle kit that is supposed to greatly reduce blowout.

Good luck
  4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

52", Hydro, 17-19 HP

Yes, bigger is more productive (DUH :D).

Yes, Hydro is better, and this is where you're really going to see the increase in production. Instant forward to reverse, no gears to shift.

No, it does not scalp more, it should not scalp at all if you have it set up right.
  5. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Joel, I have both 48" and 52" Ferris WBs. Yes the 52" is more productive and worth the money. I have noticed that it will scalp a little more than the 48". One other big factor that you didn't mention was cut quality. I feel the 52" also cuts better and will pick up leaves better. I'm not a mechanic or engineer so I can't tell you why, this is just my experience using the machines. I'm partial to the Kawasakis so I would say that the 15 or 17 hp would be fine on a 48" Hydro.
    Good luck, Mike
  6. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Joel - Here is an eXmark 36" Viking Hydro with 18" added by the Flex-Deck for a 54" total cut - The Flex-Deck flexes up 45 degrees and down 10 degrees for contour mowing ditch bottoms and unlevel terrain

The deck folds up 90 degrees to get thru gates etc - it only adds 2" to the width of the mower when folded into transport.

Thanks, Brad[​IMG]

7. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Is There any way you can Lower the Caster arm On flex-deck. To get under Pine Trees And Fences.
  8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

John - With the spacer system, and keeping the wheel big enough to handle rough terrain, it would be difficult and still keep height adjustments quick. The castor arm is 12" high.

I find most pine tree branches just slide around and over and it creates no problem - check with shearbolt in waterloo, as he is using one and uses it mostly for pine tree trimming etc. He could give you a real lowdown.

Thanks, Brad
  9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Most 48's that I have seen do NOT hve an antiscalp wheel in the middle front of the deck whereas most 52's I've seen do. I prefer the cut of my 52 snapper over my 48 snapper. Demoed a 52" Wright Stander, but purchased 2 48's as I liked their cut better. Demo, demo, demo. Then decide for yourself.

10. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob I agree the 48" snapper cuts very good!- Chris:blob4: