48" or 60" deck?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by recyellow, Mar 3, 2011.

1. recyellow

recyellow LawnSite Member

I have a lot of residential cutomers and I am taking on some commercial cutomers this year. I had a 48" mower before, but was thinking about gonig to a 60" deck. Do you guys use 60" for residential yards or is that too big?

2. Dogbonz

Dogbonz LawnSite Senior Member

I'd stick with the 48 unless you are doing lot's of wide open area's, on larger lots.

3. turftracerhp

turftracerhp LawnSite Member
    from mo

i had a 60 and its no good for residentials unless theres a lot of open ground.the deck is too wide to get an even cut on a small yard.48 or 52 will work alot better depending on the size of the yard.

4. Green Feet Lawn

Green Feet Lawn LawnSite Member

I went with 52". I think it is just right.

5. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

48/52 is perfect for residentials. it also dependes on the size of commercials you want to get. around here there are only a couple commercials wide open enough for a 60/72. the rest are done with a 52/54 depending on make of mower.

you also have to consider the weight a bigger machine has. i am sure a 48 has the smaller fram and engine. and a 60 will have a larger frame and engine adding weight.

6. kilgoja

kilgoja LawnSite Senior Member

get a 48" or 54"...i've used both on residentials...if you have more open yards that are over 1/2 acre in size then get a 54" for sure

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

When I bought a 60" a couple years ago, I kept hearing people say "any lawn you can fit a 52" you can fit a 60" on fine"...well I found that not to be the case. The 60" was just too big and awkward on some smaller residentials.

Right now I'm using a 54", great size to use on a variety of properties. I also have used a 52", which is another great size. These sizes can do fairly large properties and some smaller properties. 52"/54" give you a little extra trim capabilities over a 48".

If you have a lot of residentials and gain some commercial (mid sized) you will be fine with a 48".

8. Mountain Peak

Mountain Peak LawnSite Member

It depends on your mix of work. Right now I have the luxury of not taking anything I can't get my 60 on. I had a 44 and kept getting larger yards so off to the 60 I went. I kind of wish I had both though, even as a single operator right now.

9. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have owned 2 48" z's and 2 60's and I will tell you for residentual the 48 is the perfect size for me. There was a lot of places, gates, between flower beds the 48 will fit but not the 60 so I got rid of all my 60's.

10. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

The frames are the same and its only about 4" on each side on a 60 compared to a 54. Weight is nothing also. Us a 60 on everything. To me its either a 48 or a 60-61.