48 or 61 wb hydro

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John at JDH Select, Feb 25, 2004.

1. John at JDH Select

John at JDH Select LawnSite Member
    from Indy

I am going to purchase a new wb for this season and am getting mixed input from everyone I speak to. The purchase is solely for residential mowing, 1/2 acre or less. A few of my counterparts claim that a 61" deck is perfect, while others claim it is to large to put on most residential lawns. What do you guys think?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

John,

We do quite a bit of residential mowing and the two mowers we use are a Ferris 52"Dual Hydro wb and a 48" Wright Stander. These mowers are very versatile, hold hills well, and easy to operate. I think 61" is a little too large and on most residentials you would not be saving that much time by having a larger deck anyway. We will also be using a Walker 48" GHS for manicuring & cleanups. Save the larger mowers for wide open areas. Just my .02

Chris

3. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

52" goes everywhere almost it seems like it fits into all the tight spots and i have one half acre lawn I do it will mow it in 15-20 minutes with sulky. 48" would fit through a couple gates I can't squeeze through but you may need a 52" and use a 21" for those small areas. If you need one large machine to do it all I'd say 52".

4. thelawnkid

thelawnkid LawnSite Member

go with a 52, because it will go anywhere a 48 will, and it will cut a little better, because it has longer blades. The 4" difference seems like it wouldn't make a difference, but it does. And I think a 52" stripe looks the best

5. Gabriel Turf

Gabriel Turf LawnSite Member

I agree, 52". A 61" on a half acre would be fine, but on a 400 sq ft front lawn?

6. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I would also go with the 52 it sounds like the lawns are not that big.Most of our lawns are between 3000k-10000k and we use 48in and 52in mowers.