48 Scag Cub Wit B&g Or Kawi

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Piscitelli Landscape, Mar 18, 2006.

1. Piscitelli Landscape

Piscitelli Landscape LawnSite Member

:confused: :confused: :confused: :hammerhead: OK I POSTED A PREVIOUS THREAD ABOUT WHAT ENGINE IS BETTER THE KAW 19 HP WHICH HAS PROVEN ITSELF OR THIS NEW B&G EXTENDED LIFE WITH CHRME PLATED VALVE ETC. I GOT SOME GOOD INFO FROM YOU GUYS, LIKE B&G IS COMITTED TO GETING SCAG BACK BUT IT IS COMING DOWN TO CRUNCH TIME AND I DONT KNOW WHAT TO GET I NEED SOME REAL HELP. DO I GO WITH THE B&G OR THE KAWI, I REALLY LOVE THAT DONALDSON FILTER SYSTEM. BUT THE SPECS SHEET SIDE BY SIDE LOOKS LIKE THE B&G IS A GOOD MOTOR . HELP ME PLEASE

2. ThirdDay

ThirdDay LawnSite Senior Member

Kawasaki hands down...no comparison!

The only reason that Scag is using the Briggs engine is to keep the price down period!

3. Trinity Lawn Care  LLC

Trinity Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I like Kaw.

4. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Tiger Cub with the 19 Kawasaki and like it alot. We have several mowers with Kawasaki engines and they have been trouble free with regular maintenance. I would recommend the 19 Kaw over the Briggs because of the Donaldson air filter. My dealer has a Scag Cub with the 24 Briggs and he said he is only going to recommend it to home owners. He thinks the Kawasaki is more of a commercial grade engine.

5. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Well you are getting a two year warranty with the briggs,and five more horses,i have the 19 kawasaki on a z-cat without the donaldson air filter i would try the briggs for the bigger moter.

6. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

My Vote == Kawasaki

7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

I have been going through a similar evaluation recently (see associated threads from me). I opted out of the promo model (with the B&S), not wanting to have an engine without much popularity. My choice is the Tiger Cub with 19 Kaw/48" deck. I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Two other items are different on the promo model. The control handles for the pumps (to control machine direction) are adjustable with a knurled knob on the Kaw model. The adjustment point is down about ankle-high, and therefore easy to reach while sitting on the seat. On the promo model, I think the handles are adjustable too, but with tools on a nut/bolt. The knurled knob permits adjustments in the field. I can't comment on the importance of this feature.

The second difference is the front casters are flat-free on the Kaw model. On the promo model, the caster tires are standard pnuematic.

Neither of these features may be important, but when making all the detailed comparisons and looking closely at the spec sheets, I found these two differences. When I was at the dealer yesterday, I asked specifically about them and had my findings confirmed. I asked for other differences that I had missed -- none that the salesperson knew (or was willing to share?).

You have found the air cleaner differences. Even with the added filter on the 19 Kaw, it sits quite low. I was comparing the Hustler Mini-Z, and Hustler chooses to mount their filter about two feet higher, more out of the dust (?). The filter sits high, and an intake tube extends down to the carb. On the Scag, the filter sits on top of the carb (at least as I remember).

The dealer said their sales of the Tiger Cub configured as 19 Kaw/48" deck outsell all other TC configurations combined. I think this dealer moves many machines over a season.

8. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Kawi all the way...
    Just got 23 kawi with donalson air filter type on my Gravely, what an incredible motor. I have heard nothing but great thing about that 19 kawi for years, it even been used with 52" deck and some love them.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, I really don't know what else I can write....
    This choice is a real "no-brainer" as far as the promo Scag is concerned.

None of the other guys who have bought Briggs from my advice are on here complaining. I spent all that time supporting the 31hp and up Briggs engines, and all I could read here every other post was "junk-junk-junk" just like I'm getting here. But now everyone is loving this engine...

Give it a little time and it will be the same about the 24-25-26 HP engines too.

Those who think this choice is about the Briggs being cheaper are some real tools....
    Show me where you can buy this 24hp Briggs for $1,000 less than the 19hp Kaw.
    Good luck on that one...

Truth is, even if this engine was the biggest POS ever, a person could run it until it dropped beyond the 2 year warranty, and then buy a replacement 19hp Kaw with the money saved.

10. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

My Dealer Has Sold Three Of The 24 Horse Briggs This Season On Tiger Cubs,so The Popularity Is Coming,You Buy What You Know You Want.