48 scag swzt or 48 ferris walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Jason Simmons, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

i got about 30 yards i cut part time with a 48" exmark metro. Looking at a scag swzt 48" or a snapper/ferris 48" walk behind. Whats the pros and cons between the mowers. My yards are every week / ten days or every two weeks. Im tired of double cutting sometimes on my every two weeks yards. Thank you

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Ok,
    1) you're tired of double cutting your every other week yards?
    So you're agreeing to do twice the work for half the price?
    No mower you buy will help with that.
    If you need to double cut them, that means they need to be done EVERY week.

2) Scag SWZT and FERRIS 48? ouch tough choice.
    The scag will be noticeably less expensive, and have an entirely different steering system.
    The Ferris company has two different entires for 48". The DD comfort control (basically similar to the snapper) and the FW35, which is top dog.
    I assume the FW35 will be the most expensive of the bunch, but it is noticeably better too.

IF it was me, I'd buy the FW35.
    But I'd be happy with the scag, especially if it was my employees operating it.

the Fw35 will come with more power, and a faster speed and will be better suited for use with a velke/sulky and will be considerably better suited for operating on any side hills you may have.

Both are and excellent choice, for economy/value go scag.
    For performance and top notch quality and no regrets on purchase ever, for ferris. But you will pay for it.

3. echo

echo LawnSite Bronze Member

Ferris/Snapper Pro. The swzt, IMO, is a lower priced, entry level/homeowner machine. I'm also extremely partial to the cruise bar/Ferris/Snapper Pro controls.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I have no experience with Ferris or Snapper WB's. We run Exmark Vikings and Turf Tracers and one 48" Scag SWZT. My guys prefer the SWZT over the Exmarks. I've read several times that the SWZT is entry level but I don't see it. It's right there with my Exmarks. I've been impressed with the Scag.

5. TPendagast

Male

No one says the scag is entry/home owner level except the wanna-be expert engineers that post here, who couldn't read a schematic or spec if it fell on them from heaven.

How many hours to do you have on your SWZT now?

6. echo

Its not hard to figure out that the swzt is a cheaper, lower entry alternative to a heavy duty commercial machine. The SWZ is IMO, overpriced, especially for a new guy starting up, hence the swzt makes the scene.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  7. TPendagast

Male

The SWZT is a completely different machine, specifically built for use on smaller residential lawns that tend to be professionally landscaped.

That's it's target market.

It's doesn't have certain rugged features of the SWZ because those machines are typically bought for commercial properties where attention to detail on nice, softly rolling turf isn't very common.
    Also in reference to the hydros, the target market for the SWZT, it is highly unlikely for the machine to run full out, for long stretches, hour after hour, pulling a velke.
    So therefor doesn't need the same hydros.
    No point in putting something on there that doesn't get used.
    Additionally the hydro selection lends its self to the silky smooth, near effortless steering controls, that the heavier duty hydros wouldn't give you.

The floating deck is much more sought after in the smaller residential yard, than on the crunch of the commercial account.

To be honest, I don't WANT my commercial guys changing the height setting, they frequently "forget" they switched it, and don't put it back, making problem.

Scag knows what they are doing, The SWZT is purpose built, and the purpose isn't "Entry level/homeowner"

8. Jason Simmons

Jason Simmons LawnSite Member

The scag swzt weight is under 600 pounds and the ferris sw35 weight like 800 pounds. Maybe thats why scag has the different hydro gears and price. I'm going to try them out at the gie-expo

9. echo

Its cheaper made. That's the reason.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got a 3 year old snapper pro 36" and I thought it was basically the same as Ferris. We decided to go SWZT this year because little failures were occuring on the snapper. We will see on the scag got about 200 hrs on it. I think it is a toss up with a little edge to snapper for its controls.