48 Scag WB

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by h8weakness, Oct 9, 2007.

1. h8weakness

h8weakness LawnSite Member

OK guys and gals... I need quick help.. I am looking to buy a scag 48" wb w/ the 15 hp. Kaw. about 100 hours on it for $2000 tomorrow. is that a fair deal? it looks in great shape? No problems with it reported. Please let me know what you think asap!

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Not much horsepower for 48" unit....we have 15hp on 36" units.

3. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Is it hydro or belt-drive? Fixed or floating deck?

4. BNR LAWN SERVICES

BNR LAWN SERVICES LawnSite Member

Good price Low HP My 48 bobcat has 18 Kaw

5. SouthernCutter

SouthernCutter LawnSite Member

it depends if it is Hydro or belt drive.....15 sounds low for a 48.....im running 17 on a 48 scag, and my buddy has a 19 on a 48 exmark. if its floating deck, i wouldnt want it.....floating decks on scags are sooo heavy....if you want a floating deck go with exmark.

6. h8weakness

h8weakness LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply... I thought that 15 hp may have been a little low. Is 15 hp stock?

7. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

Well if it only has 200 hours on it I may think so, after all $2k is a good price for that machine that wouldn't have much wear-and-tear at that age I would assume. Maybe the 17hp kawi went and they opted for a cheaper option for replacement, then sale? JMO

8. G.A.S.

G.A.S. LawnSite Member

I wouldn't be hesitant if your going to make your $$$ back fairly quickly. I bought a bobcat w/b a couple years ago w/ 50hrs, 15 hp Kaw, fixed, geardrive for $2K. No complaints yet @ approx. 300hrs

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48 Scag (hydro) with a 15 Kohler and it's just fine. You're not going to be bushhogging are you? I also have a 15 Kohler on a 36 Bob-Cat and a 12hp Briggs on a 32 Bob-Cat, they all have Jungle Wheels and pull my big ass anywhere. My Lesco 52 has a 19 Kawasaki and truthfully it's overkill and it uses twice the gas to do the same job, it sounds GREAT though!
    Horsepower for the most part is a selling point for your ego.
    There are justified minimums to consider but 15 will do just fine to answer your question especially since it's a twin cylinder.
    $2000 with 100 hours sounds like a gear drive and should be in great shape so it's probably a good buy. I would consider a hydro in the future though. They really are sweet and I've got several of both kinds. Tony

10. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

More than likely it is a 15hp gear drive fixed deck, for a 1-year old / with 100 hours on it that's a nice deal and yes 15hp is standard for those. It may not be the mower you want, but they sell new for 3g... Personally I prefer toro, but scag seems to have a good rep.