48" single hydro Ferris?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stryper, Apr 20, 2006.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

My dealer offered a "new" discontinued 13hp single hydro w/b for $3200...not a HydroCut. I had originally went in thinking 36" belt for budget and application reasons, and he kept steering me back to this, even though he does carry Toro and Bobcat as well. Has anyone used these mowers, and if so, is this a good deal? I've got some slope to contend with, and I was told this particular setup, while not perfect, was much better than a belt drive. He had a Hydrocut sitting right next to it, but for some reason, he said the 48" deck did better on slopes. If that's true, I do like the idea of a bigger deck.:weightlifter:

Any input would be welcome.

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The 48" Ferris SD has been discontinued. That is the old style which, I can tell you from personal experience, has a far better drive system than the new style. The old style used a open differential drive like a car but it had 2 disc brakes, one on each side, to help steer the mower. The new style SD (available only on the 32" and 36" HydroCuts) uses a open diff too but it has no brakes and it sucks on steep slopes really bad.

The only thing that would concern me with the 48" SD would be parts availability, which could become a serious issue in the future.

3. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Okay, I looked at it again today...it is the Hydrowalk SD. Played with it on the parking lot a little bit, and it seemed to handle well. (I'm new to this, so I really have nothing to compare it to.) The only real concern I had with the machine is some of the bolts were rusty, which suggested to me that it either had been sitting outside in the weather, or in some humid warehouse/garage. The machine has no hours on it, and it started on the second pull.

So is $3200 a good price for this unit? (What were they going for when they were in production?) And is the rust something I should worry about?

Thanks again:drinkup:

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If you have slopes that you mow this unit could be a problem since it drives both sides at the same speed you have to provide the torque to keep it straight. On a belt drive you can simply brake one side and with dual hydro you increase speed on the downhill side. This units look great on flat payement but much different on sides of a hill...my 1 cent.

5. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I'm here for the input, that's why I didn't sign on the dotted line...I wanted some more feedback.

Isn't that basically what you do with the uphill side brake on this thing? At least that's the way it was explained to me. Is there something else I'm missing? :confused:

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The old HydroWalk is a different machine. There is a disk brake on each side to steer it with so it's not too bad on hills.

7. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

I had a 48" ferris hydro walk SD. Great mower (on flat ground) cuts great, Heavy dude deck, Very rugged machine. Will climb hills, but won't go across one to save its life. $3200 is a great price. I paided $4400 for mine new 4 years ago. Sold it to a friend. Got like 2000 hours and still cutting his 3 acre lawn with out a problem.

8. mowing machine

mowing machine LawnSite Member

I have a Ferris Hydro walk SD. I really like the handling abilities. I got mine a couple years ago for $1550 and it only had 4 hours on it. Basically brand new. The only thing I wish it had was a little bit bigger engine, but it's still a good mower. I think $3200 is a little bit high since it is a discontinued model. I saw a place selling it for $3300 while it was still in production.

9. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

Just to follow up...I've had the machine for about three weeks now. It did take a little getting used to--like I said, I'm new--but I'm liking it more each time I use it. Very nice cut/stripes. Plenty of power, handles great, and it doesn't seem to mind the slopes.

Thanks again for all the input.:drinkup: