48" Stripes

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BerksLawn, Apr 25, 2002.

1. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We run a 48" Yazoo/Kees beltdrive. It has a 36" wheelbase and stipes nicely. Well anyway have any of you guys had a problem following stripes from a week before? I start them out great but by half way through the pattern im cuttin in half a old light and dark stripe and then when im done they aren't as defined.

2. creative concepts

creative concepts LawnSite Member

Berkslawn,

Please don't take this the wrong way but why don't you switch directions every week? By cutting the same pattern, you can cause the grass to grow in the direction you always cut over time. Once this happens, it is hard to get a nice looking cut. Not to mention that by cutting the same pattern week after week it can and will damage the grass plant, especially the crown. Just a suggestion.

3. BerksLawn

BerksLawn LawnSite Member

We do change the patterns but usually the first two cuts we do it the same to get a really nice lookin pattern going.

4. creative concepts

You should not need to cut the same pattern two weeks in a row to get the nice pattern on most lawns but if you do try this. Instead of cutting the same pattern two weeks in a row, double cut the same pattern during the first week. This will make the pattern stand out more without the problem of overlapping the stripes like you experience during the following week. Hope this helps.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I cut many lawns the same way each week. I follow stripes still there from last season, and the seasons before that! I dont have a problem with this! Its called striping! Yes, most of my "good" lawns I alternate directions, but upon returning to the original stripe, I FOLLOW the old stripes. I have no problem following stripes, it always works out for me!

6. creative concepts

TLS,

Not to start an argument, but I am pretty sure I know what a stripe is thank you. By cutting the same direction week after week, it can and will eventually damage the grass plant as proven by research from various universities and magazines. Following stripes previously created a few weeks earlier is not a problem as I sometimes do this and that was not what I meant. What I was referring to was alternating your patterns from week to week to prevent the grass from growing in one direction. Granted this can not be done on a few lawns, but almost all can have a different pattern from week to week. I am however a little curious as to why you only alternate patterns on your "good" lawns? Don't your clients pay you to provide them with a profesional service regardless of if they have a "good" or "bad" lawn?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Chris,

I have about 20 some lawns that have been cut the same pattern, and only that pattern for past 15 years! Doesn't damage the grass, and the customers love the single stripes! Some lawns would take forever to go on a 90 degree pattern. Only the "good" (ie. $) customers get the checkerboard pattern.

I provide what the customer WANTS, often thats just keeping it cut regularly.

P.S. Glad you know what a stripe is. :rolleyes:

8. creative concepts

TLS,

I am really not trying to get in an argument with you or anyone on this matter. I did not mean to make a checkerboard pattern on the non money makers. What I meant was to just alternate your patterns frokm week to week. I can show you the research info that I have seen about the damage that can occur over time to the crown of the plant. Like I said, I don't want to get into an argument about this as everyone is entitled to their own opinion. This is not directed towards you but just a general statement after reading "Done stick a fork in me" with an idiot like Tommy B posting. As professionals, we owe it to ourselves to be open to others knowledge and expertise as we all might know something that the other does not. That is what this site is for, to share information and experiences with other professionals. But when you get an idiot like TommyB, he obviously does not know a damn thing about anything as he is spoiled rotten by mommy and daddy. TLS, what I am getting at is you have your way of doing things, I have my way, and someone else has there way. None of them might be wrong, but someones might be better. I was a little annoyed with the remark about stripes with the exclamation point after it and I might have taken it the wrong way. I took it as that I don't know what a stripe is or how to make one.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Chris,

Everythings cool. :) Thats the problem with computers, emotions cant be shown in type. Oh well. :rolleyes:

I know that a repititious pattern isn't the best for the lawn, but 80% of my customers could care less what is good or bad for their lawn. Plus, I have a few that could prove those Universities' studies wrong :eek:

For me, I'll stick to following the light stripes. :D

10. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Just thought I would chime in from the peanut gallery. I like to go the same direction two weeks in a row and then start checked pattern.

BerksLawn: Watch your cutting width, you are not cutting the same width on every pass takes practice.

I am considering unstriping my lawns in July. I have noticed the scortching sun and drought will dry out a horizontal blade much faster( dormancy ) and will come back much slower than a vertical blade. I noticed this when cutting a irrigated lawn next to a non-irrigated lawn. I drove around her bed to get to other side through other lawn. A week later every place I drove were brown tracks though this guys yard. He was pissed. It looked like I had roundup on my tires. It came back in the fall but it was sloooooooooow. Had to look at it every week. Thoughts?

Mark