48" toro proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dbc45420, Dec 3, 2003.

1. dbc45420

dbc45420 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Hey everyone,

I am wanting to start doing some residential mowing next year and found a used toro pro-line for sale. I was wanting some feedback on the quality of toro and possibly how many hours are they good for. This is a 48" toro pro-line w/ bagger and has 400 hours on it. It is approximately 5 years old. I live in Dayton OH and the guy wants $800 for it. What do you all think? I appreciate any help or advise you may have.

Thank you

2. Shuter

Shuter LawnSite Bronze Member

It is hard to say if it is a good deal without seeing it. If the machine does not look like it is abused and it will be a good starter for you, then get it. If you are just starting out, used equipment is a good way to go.

As far as Toro goes, my mowers are Toro and I have never had any problems.

3. Black Water

Black Water LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like good advice. If its' any help, i got quoted $3600 for a brand new one with a 15 horse Kaw.:)

4. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I'm in Dayton also....anyway....

I have used Toro's for years, Proline 48" and 36" ....they have always done well for me........and those were all belt drives.

The above advice is good......

Good Luck.....

Derek

5. lawn perfection

lawn perfection LawnSite Senior Member

Go look at the mower, use it at the guys house.If it runs and looks to be in good shape its worth the $800. Even if it only last the first year with you it should pay for its self several times over. JMO

6. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

Where are you in Dayton, im on the north side.

Ive had mine for 3 years and it has been flawless. I like it alot. $800 is a good deal, even if it has some problems.

7. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

If you were talk to me ......I am south of Dayton....my Prolines have been great.....theonly problem I have had are very minor. I have broken a couple of the arms that hold tension on the blade drive belt tensioners. And I lost a C clip retainer of a wheel once....I didn't know until the rear wheel started to come off.

Great mowers.....

Derek

8. BB36

BB36 LawnSite Member

This past season i got a new 36'' Toro Proline belt drive ,fixed deck ,Tbar 12.5hp kawi for $2300 with the manu. warranty. I would think that this makes more sense then buying the older machine.
    All I run are Toros, nothing else for the past 5 years.