1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48 toro t bar or quick 44

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bstroman, Dec 21, 2006.

1. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

Ok, have 1 acre flat backyard of my own and mow 6 other small properties. Looking at a 48 belt drive toro t bar not sure how well they control or I could wait till the quick 44 hits the market. Currently using a 42 craftsman anybody think the toro might be better than the quick single hydro. Toro also seems very well built however the quick unit is likely to handle better than a gear drive unit. I will use a sulky with either unit i get. Any thoughts would be great.
  2. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Is the quick 44 going to be a dual or single hydro? If it's a single, is there a brake for each drive wheel? Cause if you're standing on a sulky, it might be harder to keep it in a straight line.

Either one is going to be way better than the Craftsman though...
  3. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

Toro T-bar, youll be amazed at the ease of the controls a mower in a class of it own. The toro in IMO would be your best bet. I have 2 lovem.
  4. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

T-Bar hands down, Not a hard choice at all! ...lol Good luck.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

The answer is T-bar control Toro.
  6. bstroman

bstroman LawnSite Member

I did not know you could buy an (easy) belt drive unit but the tbar seems to be that unit.
  7. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

The T-bar design is like no other belt drive its like in between a hydro and a "normal" belt drive mower. If you have a toro dealer near buy stop and ask for a test drive so you can see yourself.
  8. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

I run T-bars with belt drive. I love em. They are built like tanks, handle like they are weightless, and do a great job. I always use sulkies, the T-bar system is light-years ahead of pistol-grips. It is super easy and intuitive. I let my neighbors borrow my T-bars, anyone can drive them. If you can afford it opt for the Kawasaki. The Kohler is an good engine, but the Kawi is smoother and starts easier.
  9. Military Lawns

Military Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

If you have strong hands the pistol grip Toro will save a couple of hundred bucks. I have one pistol grip Toro and the T-bar. I like both of them, however I will concede that the T-bar is easier to handle and both are belt drive. I love them and see no need to spend the money for a hydro...at least at this point.

10. jaybow

jaybow LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mi

Well I just got my new quick 36 samarai with kaw 16 horse engine and havent really used it but I am impressed at how well built it seems to be. I did start it runs smooth seems to turn easily and everyone seems to like the better outdoor products.I am waiting to see the fast 44 myself I bet it will be nice.