48" toro turbo force deck scalping and wheels digging

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, Jul 20, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

This is a toro 48" wb turbo force deck model 30698, the mower cuts great but for some reason the deck is so low to the ground even when i cut at 3" just the slligtest dip in the terrain and it will most likely dig in and scalp. WHy doest toro have some sort of wheel on the edge of the deck to prevent this problem from occuring?

Would it be possible to have anti scalp wheels welded onto the deck that way the deck could never touch the ground enough to dig in and cause a bald spot or brown streak in the lawn?

It seems the rear wheels on this unit also spin alot and its very hard to get it up into my trailer or over curbs. My older toro 52" wb jumped over curbs and glided right up my trailer and it was only 12.5hp this new one is 15hp could it be the belts arent tight or something else?

Just curious if im the only one with this problem and if anyone out there has alny solutions cause i hate having to hold my breath whenever i hit uneven terrain i know it takes practice to minimize scapling but isnt it true if you have the anti scalp wheels on both outer edges of the deck its bascially impossible if not impossible to scalp.

how the hell can 60" ztr speed around and not scalp i dont want to mow on the lowest speed.

What can i do???

Thank You

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Fixed deck?????????

3. joed

joed LawnSite Bronze Member

I seem to have the exact same problem with a 21" Toro Proline I bought last year. It has the Kawasaki engine on it and like your unit, it will scalp on uneven terrain, especially when set at 2". The right front wheel also spun a lot. I took it back to the dealer but they did nothing. I also contacted Toro and they refused to even acknowledge the problem. The one thing that helped a bit was setting the back wheels a 1/2 inch higher than the front. I'm so frustrated with this machine that I would love to just sell it. I don't know if setting the back height a tad higher would help on your unit.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Make sure your deck is not bent or warped

5. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

yes it is a fixed deck, i spent $3800 and i dont know,,,i cant say im very happy.

opinions??? please

6. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

Hmm, 21" mowers do pretty well about not scalping, but 2" is really low. At 2 inches it is pretty easy to scalp. A few things to check: Make sure none of your height adjustment levers are loose. Something to note is that the front and rear height adjustment levers are not at the same angle when they are at the same level. Be sure, you have accounted for this.
    Also, you can get an anti scalp plate for the center of the blade, it protects the ground from getting ripped up by the bolts.

7. LCPullman

Was your 52" deck a fixed deck? I am thinking not because I don't recall Toro having any pre-TF 52" fixed deck mowers.

But anyway, manufacturers do not put wheels on the outer edges of their fixed deck mowers because you have the potential and lifting the whole mower, drive wheels and all into the air. Some manufacturers put wheels in the front center of the deck on their fixed models. That doesn't mean you can't have someone weld on some rollers, but you should know why fixed decks don't come with them.

I think the floating decks (your old 52") may be better at hopping curbs, going into your trailer, etc. because the deck pushes up, allowing the rear wheels to maintain traction.

You mention the wheels spinning easily, that sounds alot like it could be new belts, which tend to be quite grabby. Especially with a heavier deck like the TF, wheel slipping is really easy.

It sounds like what you really need is the 48" floating deck. It will come with bigger rear wheels, which will help with not scalping, and it will come with a full compliment of anti-scalp rollers, plus the bigger rear wheels will help with curb hopping, etc.

8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

I have a 2007 40" Turbo Force floater and I had this same problem until I realized the weight of the machine and the compression of the turf/soil so I now run the mower about 1/2 inch higher than I did on my 21" and my 26" and it seems to do fine. I still have the ocasional scalp, but I am getting better at reading the terrain...a floater is not an end all to scalping but I am sure its better than a fixed deck.

Make sure your deck is level and also check air pressure in all tires...after this if is still scalping you probably have an uneven lawn like some I mow and scalping is hard to avoid.

9. LCPullman

Thats right, you really do have to learn how to handle the wider mowers and how to mow to avoid scalping.
    Sometimes its amazing how much difference a 1/4 or 1/2" makes when it come to not scalping.

10. LCPullman

One more idea, measure your blade height to see if the 3" setting is really 3". On our Hustler mowers, the deck seemed to about 1/2" lower than the label said it should be.