48" versus 36"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Startinout, Jan 30, 2002.

1. Startinout

Startinout LawnSite Member

I have found a used Woods 48" walk behind mower with a catcher for $1500.00 and a used John Deere 48" walk behind mower with a sitting sulky for $1600.00. People have also told me that I should start with a 36" instead. What should he start with?

2. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

Most will tell you her that the 36" is good for gated yards and most everything else you should be using at least a 48" deck. I have 2 54" deck bobcats and I don't even have a 22" mower on my trailer.

3. daleintx

daleintx LawnSite Member

For starting out a 36" would probably suffice. They will go in most peoples gates or back yards. I started with a 36" myself and used it for years. Now I have a 33" Troy bilt that cuts great and gets in almost all backyards but I think is a little over priced. The Troy bilt now allows me to own a 48".

4. BRIAN GALLO

BRIAN GALLO LawnSite Senior Member

If you don't have any gated properties, or only have a few - go 48". The time you will save will allow you to pick up more lawns, make more $$$ and buy a 32 or 36 down the road somewhere. Like daleintx said, that Troy-bilt 33 is a good alternative. I keep one of those around for the smaller tight yards instead of using a 21'er. I paid $250 for mine used in excellent condition.

5. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

Get the biggest mower you can afford,and do not buy a 36 unless you need it for a lot of gated yards,the 48 will cut your times by at least 1/3.Time is money,I wouldnt use a 36,ever,to slow for our open areas,but its just the ticket if you got a lot of small gated yards.

6. daleintx

daleintx LawnSite Member

If you have a 48" mower chances are that you WON'T be able to get it in most gated yards. You will have to use a walk behind mower in the back unless you buy 2 mowers that you can use a sulky or jungle wheels with. You will probably be walking in most of the back yards with a 48". With a 36" you can mow both the front and back of most yards. With jungle wheels in 4th gear you can fly thru the back yard much faster than with a walk behind. If your doing small yards and can only afford or transport one mower probably the 36 is your best bet.

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

As big as you can use. With that in mind, you need to figure out the lawns you will be marketing. Can a 48" do the job, or will you need 36"? If your dealing with mainly subdivision lawns then a 36" will almost be necessary.

8. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I own both size mowers (36" and 48") and I RARELY use the 36 ". The 36" has very little offset on the deck which makes it hard to get real close to things, unlike the 48" which is easy to get close with. I agree if you do alot of gated yards, get the 36". I don't. I mainly bought the 36" as a backup to my 48". Good luck, whatever you go with.

9. keifer

keifer LawnSite Senior Member

That would depend on your needs but if they are in good shape I would say buy both sounds like good prices.