48" Viking Or 48"trimstar?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SMALLTIME22, Jul 25, 2008.

1. SMALLTIME22

SMALLTIME22 LawnSite Member

Any input?
    I have demoed the Trimstar so I know what that's all about...good and bad.
    Have not demoed the Viking as I am just now considering it in place of the TTHP's. I like the ECS concept and everything behind Exmark. My only concern is the 15hp Kaw on a 48 deck. Sure I can demo, demo, demo but in late july a 13hp Kaw would probably cut fine. And why dont they make a fixed deck 48" w/ 17hp Kaw anyway. I know this is a poor comparison but my Encore 48" belt drive has a 15hp Kaw and it bogs down from time to time.
    Will I be able to run a sulky at an efficient pace with this mower?
    Any opinions from other Viking owners or those that have used would be greatly appreciated.

PLEASE!

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

I have a 15/36 TTHP that I'm playing around with for a few days. So far it's pretty nice. I think it might be better to have a little bit larger engine for a 48" though. Do you have a good SCAG dealer near you? The SWZU and especially Pro-V Scags are SWEET.

3. SMALLTIME22

SMALLTIME22 LawnSite Member

There Are Scag Dealers All Over The Place. But Im Most Likely Getting A Ztr Next Spring And Already Ahve 2 Belt Drive W/b's So Im Looking To Stay Under 5k W/ This Purchase.
    No Doubt The Scags Are Great But Concerning This Purchase - Im Not Gonna Bother. I Will Go All Out W/ Next Springs Big Purchase

4. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Yeah, SCAG is not cheap by any means. Another option would be a 17/48 Stander if you have a Wright dealer near you. Those are what, $4900? And you wouldn't have to buy a sulky.