Lawn Care Forum banner

48" vs 52"

16K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Nate'sLawnCare 
#1 ·
I am wanting to upgrade next year to either a 48 or 52 mower. With that being said let me tell you about me first. I already have 2 36" mowers. I currently only do residential mowing right now and based on what others bids are I'll probly stay that way for awhile. My big question here is what is the big advantages or disadvantages between the 48" or 52" decks. It will be a stander as I already have a vride and really like how it operates and am demoing the 61" and it is just a couple inches to big for most of our current properties and this mower will need to be my primary mower even tho I know there will be yards neither will fit. Also what do most of y'all prefer and why as far as 48 or 52?
Posted via Mobile Device

#2 ·
Well the difference between the 2 is usually down to deck size(obviously), frame(ie. thickness, bracing), hydro pump size, and wheel and tire size. Now the 52 is bigger and/or beefier in all these categories... Or at least in most instances. Not sure if that is true on standers but it is for Z's

#3 ·
I know wright has what they call large and small frame standers. pretty sure the deck sizes are all the same ''frame'' just different engines, hydros, wheels/tires depending on what model you're getting. not sure if scag or anyone else does the same.

if you're only planning on residential i'd say 48'' as that would be more maneuverable yet and you may find that you can get places a 52 can't. it's only a difference of 4'' and on residentials you aren't gonna notice it much. realistically it's maybe only a pass or two on most residentials, maybe less. only you can tell really, you know what your yards look like

#4 ·
I know wright has what they call large and small frame standers. pretty sure the deck sizes are all the same ''frame'' just different engines, hydros, wheels/tires depending on what model you're getting. not sure if scag or anyone else does the same.

if you're only planning on residential i'd say 48'' as that would be more maneuverable yet and you may find that you can get places a 52 can't. it's only a difference of 4'' and on residentials you aren't gonna notice it much. realistically it's maybe only a pass or two on most residentials, maybe less. only you can tell really, you know what your yards look like

#5 ·
I'd look at the deck's overhang past the rear wheels. If the 48" has little or no deck overhang to allow trimming, I'd get the 52". If the 48" has sufficient trimming ability I'd prefer the 48". Because like kawakx125 pointed out it's nearly as fast and will fit more places. Plus it would scalp just a little less, handle a tiny bit easier, dig up the turf just a little less on the turns.
The advantage of standers are speed over having big swath capability.

#6 ·
Thank you guys for all your input. I've always wondered why companies Made both a 48 and 52 and besides the extra 4 inches it really didn't make much of a difference. I really wish my dealer would have let me demoed the 48 or 52" but I guess they are really trying hard to sell these new 61" vrides. It appeares to be a great mower just a little large how many people use 61" mowers on residential accounts
Posted via Mobile Device

#8 ·
IMO a 61'' really isn't necessary on a general neighborhood residential account. scalping will be increased, chances are its not gonna fit everywhere, etc. great for larger open properties and commercial stuff but not your run of the mill neighborhoods.
i have a 61'' vride and only do residential properties...i do a few large properties but mostly small to medium...i have noticed that the vride is very maneuverable and fits everywhere i need it too except a few gated back yards

#17 ·
You do that. I got a 36 eXmark and a 52 eXmark and have been running the same blades on them for years so I don't have to go measure I know what they are.
I have a 36 n 52 but they are Lesco,I am curious because I know some mowers are diifferent slightly but just out of curiousity I want to see if the blades are the same or different.

Some mowers may stagger more than others,it just seems like that is alot.

#19 ·
I'd compare a 52 to a 48 and see how much trim capacity you have, besides, with a 52 you're really only cutting about 48 with each pass with an overlap. If a 52 has more trim capacity and will fit in your yards, go for it. I don't have any residentials that I couldn't do with a 36 or 52 even with gates, so I'm planning to add a 52 pretty soon (if I can get a good December deal).

#20 ·
The lawns we cut on our route are generally 1/4-1/2 acre and we run a 48" stander and a 54" Z. I know its only a difference of a few inches but from my experience that 48" fits through twice as many places as that 54" does. I would recommend going with the 48 if your lots are around the same size. Make sure you get something you can put a good catcher on for leaves!

#22 ·
When you pull the trigger on the new mower, be sure to post some pictures of it here. Thanks :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.