48" vs 52"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Rvldesign, Oct 10, 2012.

1. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Was wondering if anybody was going to bring up about 36 and 52 they normally take the same blade size. That's why we have a 36 eXmark TTHP and a 52 eXmark Lazer Z. We do residential and small commercial if the 52 can't get it and it's too much to trim we bust out the 36.

2. Realslowww

Realslowww LawnSite Bronze Member

lets see here 18 X 2 = 36 X 3 = 52 or is it 54, Daaa Da :laugh: Daa

3. kawakx125

kawakx125 LawnSite Bronze Member

it is technically 54'' but all 52'' decks i have seen the blades are staggered which allows them to run 18'' blades. think of the spindles in a triangle format where the center one is farther forward than the 2 sides.

4. Greg78

You're right. Sometimes Realslowww is Realslowww if you know what I mean lol.

5. Realslowww

I have a 52 inch lesco out back,I will go measure the blades. I have never known there to be that much difference in staggering.

6. Greg78

You do that. I got a 36 eXmark and a 52 eXmark and have been running the same blades on them for years so I don't have to go measure I know what they are.

7. Realslowww

I have a 36 n 52 but they are Lesco,I am curious because I know some mowers are diifferent slightly but just out of curiousity I want to see if the blades are the same or different.

Some mowers may stagger more than others,it just seems like that is alot.

8. mathteacherj

mathteacherj LawnSite Member

I debated the 48" vs. the 52" vantage as well. The ultimate factor that led me to the 52 was that it had a better deck overhang to be able to work around the landscape beds.

9. Nate'sLawnCare

Nate'sLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd compare a 52 to a 48 and see how much trim capacity you have, besides, with a 52 you're really only cutting about 48 with each pass with an overlap. If a 52 has more trim capacity and will fit in your yards, go for it. I don't have any residentials that I couldn't do with a 36 or 52 even with gates, so I'm planning to add a 52 pretty soon (if I can get a good December deal).

10. tinkerlawn

tinkerlawn LawnSite Member

The lawns we cut on our route are generally 1/4-1/2 acre and we run a 48" stander and a 54" Z. I know its only a difference of a few inches but from my experience that 48" fits through twice as many places as that 54" does. I would recommend going with the 48 if your lots are around the same size. Make sure you get something you can put a good catcher on for leaves!