1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

48" vs 60" efficiency, scag and hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bpdmower, May 4, 2005.

1. bpdmower

bpdmower LawnSite Member

Hello all, I usually just read, but needed to ask these questions. Here's a little background. I have a part-time lawn service, currently running a 48" scag tiger cub. All equipment is paid for, but I have reached my limit on the number of yards I can service given my limited time constraints. I am considering buying a 60" mower to increase efficiency.

1) will the 60" deck increase my efficiency enough to justify the cost?

2) I can get a 60" super z for $7200.00 or a 61" turf tiger for $8495.00 or a 61" wildcat for $7999.00, recomendations?

3) I have heard that the 61" wildcat has some scalping issues due to the shorter overall length of the machine, is this true?

2. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

The Super Z is a much faster mower than your Scag. That fact alone will increase efficiency. The 60 inch deck will add even more efficiency if it isn't too large to service your accounts.

If you have small yards, then the 60 inch will prove to be slower than a smaller mower, since it will harder to maneuver the larger mower around on the property.

If the mower isn't too big for the job the Super Z should decrease your mowing time by at least 25% and maybe more.

Is it worth the investment? Only you can answer that question.
  3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 60 and a 48 and on some yards the 60 is actually slower because of all the obstacles and flowers in the yard. However, on a wide open yard the 60 will beat the 48 by about 25%, I have one 2 acre yard that went from 2 hours (including trimming and edging) with the 48 to 1:30 with the 60. Thirty minutes adds up if you have several big yards to do. Make sure that you have enough accounts to justify the cost though, that can get you in trouble.
  4. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

whats a least amount of sq. feet size to make a 61'' mower both efficient and safe ?

i've always heard minium of 12k-15k sq. feet
  5. Sweetwater

Sweetwater LawnSite Member

We mostly use 52"...I will put the biggest mower on the truck on the lawn and go for it. I have one really good account that takes three 90' stripes, and DONE! When my other crew does this property they use the 61" in the same amount of time (still three stripes). When I had to use 36" last week, I was definately slowed down.

Go for the biggest mower you can run!
  6. A+ Lawncare

A+ Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

some customers and others in the business will say that bigger ztr used on small 9k sq. feet lawns and less will leave ruts w/large ztr like 61''
  7. bpdmower

bpdmower LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, I'm going to demo a 61" wildcat to see how I like it and how much time I can save on some of my accounts.
  8. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

when I run the 61 it leaves some uncut. A lot of yards here are bumpy and uneven. I much preffer a 48. Even with the added time it takes the jobs just look better for me. If your turf is level and wide open where u can hit speed its a huge time saver.

I got a husq LZ 6125 with kohler twin up here for sale. Just north of hattiesburg if your interested PM me. Has just over 300 hours on it.
  9. bigz1001

bigz1001 LawnSite Member

I believe another side to this question is in what you consider "part-time" and if you ever have plans of going "full-time". If you are only mowing 20 hours a week, you will not see or feel the increased productivity as say someone mowing for 40 hours a week. Assuming an equal ground speed, productivity is a function of time. However, if you plan on remaining "part-time" time saved may not be enough to justify the cost of a new mower. If your mower is wore out anyhow and you are looking for a replacement, just try to figure out how long the additional savings will take to pay you back for the price difference.

Here is a link to a productivity calculator, very simple to use. Productivity Calculator