48" W/B SCAG/eXmark any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowinSoIN, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MowinSoIN

MowinSoIN LawnSite Member

48" W/B SCAG/eXmark any suggestions? and what would a good price be for a 2002? hydro vs belt drive? thanks.

2. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I personally would go for the Scag. The hydros are much better because they more productive than belt drive units. I currently own a 1996 Scag 52" SWZ w/ a Kaw. 14hp. and this mower is my best friend. I mean most guys on this site will recommend Exmark, but I don't see much of a difference. My engine is a bit weak, but i want to either replace the engine or replace the whole mower for a newer one. I think you should go for the 52" though because the 4" overlap really does make a difference say when you're turning around obstacles. I will always be a Scagman and i'm still trying to support the compnay for their excellent line of mowers. Definitley a 52" hydro though I would recommend. The best thing to do is do a search, on the search button, and DEMO! This will help you make your decision.
    Good Luck! Hope this helps

3. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

Oh I forgot to add a price:

Scag hydro 48-52" would go for about $4600-$5000.

Exmark hydro 48-52" would go for about $4600-$5900, depends on which model.

Whatever you do, always get excellent dealer support too!

Belt drives are usuallu like $100 less but the hydro is definitely the mower you want.

4. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i think hydro is a definate. i have a belt drive scag walkbehind and will never buy belt drive again. I have used a buddies scag hydro and put quite a few hours on it, and i wasnt very impressed by the deck or the cut. There are a ton of exmarks out there, and i havent heard anybody talk badly about them. id say go with an exmark hydro walkbehind.

5. I love scag hydro walkbehinds they cut great stripe great and are built like a tank.

We have the scag floating deck hydro's

6. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I think you must mean $1,000, not $100...:confused: Otherwise they wouldn't even make belt drives :dizzy:

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Oh and as for brands, it might depend more on what type of grass you're cutting and how high. DEMO DAY!!!!! See if you can demo one for a whole day, they usually let you. Even if you don't like it, you had a mower for a whole day with no overhead, and no wear on yours!

8. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Hydro is definately the way to go. No slippage, faster reverse (no assist), and more maintenance friendly. Personally I recommend Exmark, but it comes down to dealer support.

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

bushhogboy -It makes no difference as to how high you cut or what type of grass you have - there are a lot of good mowers out there and they all do the job - You just have to invest the money it takes to get what you need for the job

Find a dealer that will take care of you and go for it - you take care of your customers - let your dealer take care of you, and everyone makes a little money, and everyone is happsie.

Thanks, Brad - seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee -------------------------------------------------- no pic -------------are you happsie

10. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

bushhogboy - how can you recommend demoing a unit for a whole day without really thinking about buying "you said - At least you got to use a mower for the day" - that is just another attitude that "lets use the dealers - lets abuse the dealer then to hell with them"

Most on this site seems to think they should get top dollar for their services, but they all seem to think they should be able to buy their mowers at discounted prices "Break the dealer - where the heck do they think service comes from, and who do they go to when the dealer goes broke because of the jewing prices the LCO's demanded

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.