48" walkbehinds Gravely/exmark/etc....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GreenSouth Landscapes, Feb 20, 2008.

1. GreenSouth Landscapes

GreenSouth Landscapes LawnSite Member

I know which one i think has the best cut, fit and finish, and price, but would like to get other peoples input. As the owner of a small landscape management company that mostly serves businesses i find that walk behinds are much more efficient especially on slopes. I see people all over town using bobcat, exmark, and several other brands. The one i rarely see is the Gravely. I don't know why this is. I have used all of these walk behinds and i must say that the 2007 Gravely PROSTEER 1748 has the absolute best cut out of any mower i have ever used. The handles are identical as a rider with zero turn and its much more comfy to me, to ride on the PROSLIDE rather than ride on a seat or sulky.

I guess my reasoning for this thread is to really try and understand why people buy the mowers that they buy. I buy mine based on "you get what you pay for", which i can honestly say that i am certainly glad i spent more money than the bobcat but way less than the exmark.

thoughts, questions, snide remarks. all welcome.:dizzy:

2. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I bought a ztr because i started having more and more problems with my ankles and knees.

Exmark was the only dealer to let me demo a machine. i would never buy a machine without atleast cutting a few lawns with it.

Exmark - gave me a demo 2 times.
    Ferris - gave me a demo but its the same dealer as the exmark.
    Toro- offered to come with a mower and let me mow 1 yard under supervision
    JD - the dealer was worthless.
    Lesco - didnt know what was going to happen when jd took over.
    Scag - too expensive.

Those are pretty much the only dealers in my area. So thats my reasoning why i went with Exmark.

3. GreenSouth Landscapes

Exmark makes a great product, Lord knows i love my riders that i own but i just cannot get over how much they charge for their walk behinds.

4. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

I would buy another Lesco w/b in a second. I love my lesco machines.. they are super easy to work on, never had anything seriously wrong with them!

5. GreenSouth Landscapes

See i don't have a Lesco dealer in my area or i would have tried them. I completely understand about mowers being easy to work on. As busy as my company is, we cannot afford to have mowers down for longer than 30 minutes.