48" WB Gear vs. Hydro

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jdilley1, Apr 13, 2005.

1. jdilley1

jdilley1 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Starting to plan ahead as we are building a house on 2 acres of minimally sloped, mostly flat land. There will be many obstacles to maneuver around, but nothing too dramatic. Currently we have a 1/2 acre and I use a Simplicity Regent 16/38. I think I'd like a walk behind at the next house. I've read a lot over the past few days and I'm interested in learning more about the pros/cons of the gear vs. hydro drives. There's the obvious price difference, but I would like some opinions on whether it makes that big of a difference.

My plans are to look for a used one at the start of next year's season. Maybe find one from a pro looking to update his equipment.

Aside from the gear/hydro issue - are there other features to look for/avoid? I've read the "tractor vs. commercial walk behind" thread. Should I be thinking more toward a 52"+ or will I be ok with the 48"? Just looking for some advice here - all opinions welcome :) . Thanks
  2. PTP

PTP LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

Go to your dealer and test out a belt and then test a hydro. Yes, a hydro is superior but it may not be necessary for you.

If you want to know which one is better, the hydro is. If you want to know which one is the best in your particular circumstance with your budget, only you can decide.
  3. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

I think that a 48-52 are popular size for the amount of property you describe. I dont like the pistol grip models, they seem to be hard on the wrist. I would check out the Toro T-bar, Exmark Ecs , Hustler H-bar, I have been surfing some this week and it seems that snapper and Husquarvanna use some sort of loop controls that would be easier than pistol grips. Im sure you will get alot of opinions on the belt drive vs Hydro. I use a Toro Tbar gear drive, other than on a hill side I really like the Toro, its a poormans hydro