48" wb or 48" ztr

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ffdan, Jan 27, 2003.

1. ffdan

ffdan LawnSite Member

Right now I'm cutting mostly residential lawns with a 36" exmark wb. This year I'm picking up a few more yards. I'm looking at a 48" ztr but I need your opinion on getting a 48" hydro wb.
    What would be the difference in cutting time on yards that are mostly around 1/2 acre.

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If you decide on a ZTR, don't get a 48". Get 52" - 61". A 61" ZTR is approx. the same as 2-48" W/B's.

3. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say probaly get a 48" wb because they are more manuverable around trees. I would say if ur gonna get a wb get a hydro. They are the best because they can add a sulky and automatically be a rider @ half the price. Good luck:)

4. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

and half the speed...

without knowing your terrain, and seeing you have a 36 inch WB already, get a Z. any size. course it`s not my money:D

5. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Now I know why they call you "bubbleboy":dizzy: So, you're saying you mow at 15/16 mph, since a good WB will mow well at 7/8........And Nevertheless, a measly 1/2 acre lot. OK, you must really be joking, so please let the questioneer know that.

6. All the ZTR's will be as manuverable if not more around trees. Good thing I actually have one to be able to make that claim.

For Bubbleboy's answer to correct Switchless, he was referring to the belt drive, bacuse it was stated by LC3. He was referring to many of the 4.5 mph belt drive WB's.

Now for that one. A belt drive Exmark is ruffly the same speed as the hydro. Hydro you gain manuverablity and no belt slippage. And no not at half the price. More like 3/5 of the price unless you know where to buy a hydro for less than $3000 that is any good.

And Bob's statement is right on, you have a small mower already.

7. Doc Pete

Sorry Mikey, you just can't read....... Here's LC3's post.......
    " I would say if ur gonna get a wb get a hydro. They are the best because they can add a sulky and automatically be a rider @ half the price. Good luck"

Jeepers' Mikey,,,,,,,, come on..........................

8. Nope I got the same answer as Bubbleboy.

9. grassdaddy

grassdaddy LawnSite Senior Member

I f you want something small and fast--hustler super-mini-z,13mph.:)

10. Doc Pete

Hey.............That's OK, I just have a different English book than you...........