48" Z owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fire/Grass, May 28, 2004.

1. Fire/Grass

Fire/Grass LawnSite Member

I'm looking to upgrade to a Z. I hear alot of people talking about trim side on the 48" deck being minimal. I'm only doing residentual lawns. So to you owners of the 48" decks. Do you find it to be a problem? Or is the extra 4" on a 52" worth the extra money?

2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

What kind of Z are you looking to get??? I have a 48" on my Walker and its great for the smaller residentials, but a 52" or 60" would be awsome for open areas. My next one will be bigger than 48" so I can have the best of both worlds.
  3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 60 and a 48 Exmark ztr. The 48 has little on the trim side. I would buy a 52 if it fits your lawns.
  4. Teff's Lawn & Snow

Teff's Lawn & Snow LawnSite Member

We have been real happy with our Exmark Lazer Z Hp 48", we got a good price on a demo model other wise we would have went with a bigger deck.
  5. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 48'' lazer hp and I love it. My next purchase will be a 52 or 60'' just so I have something larger for the open areas. For now, the 48'' does just fine
  6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Have a look at this, most trim side of any 48" ZTR on both sides of the deck. Discharge side, mulch kit installed....

7. Envy Lawn Service

Trim is 2-3" on both sides. Here is a shot of the trim side.....

8. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Seams like with that narrow of a stance it would not be very stable on hills?
  9. Envy Lawn Service

Seeming and being are two different things though. Believe me and ask anyone, if it wasn't stable I wouldn't own it. Matter of fact it's the most stable zero turn I have ever been on period. Proportionately, it is set up more stable and balanced than most mowers. The center of gravity is VERY low. The rear track width and the wheel base are about equal/square.

Another way to look at it is this... Yeah maybe it might be easier to actually turn over than say a big wide 60" but that certainly does not mean the 60' will even handle that caliber of hill in the first place.