48in Walkbehind pulling problem

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by billyebrown, Sep 12, 2002.

1. billyebrown

billyebrown LawnSite Member

I recently bought a small lawn care business which included a 2000 48in Metro Walk Behind with Sulky. I am having a couple of problems that I was wondering if I could get input on.

The right wheel is not pulling as much as the left. When turning left I almost have to get off to turn but when turning right it is fine. This is even worse on slight hills. It also will not go straight without braking the left wheel almost constantly. Is there a belt adjustment to make to help this. I spoke with a dealer here and he kept saying that it was the drive tire radius. If it was just the steering problem I might agree but the turning problem makes me think it is more.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

BillyBrown,

Yes, there is more than just a tire circumference problem. Normally when a machine has a gradual pull to one side on flat level ground it is a tire circumference problem. You should probably go ahead and double-check it as well if you haven’t already. While tire circumference isn't your entire problem it may be contributing.

What is most likely occurring with your machine is that the drive belt for the RH side is slipping. This is usually an adjustment issue that should be relatively simple to fix. The adjustment procedure is in your operator’s manual under the set up or assembly instructions. If you don't have a manual you can e-mail us at sales@exmark.com or you can e-mail me directly at terry.eckert@exmark.com. You can also download a manual off of our website in the technical support section. All you need is your s/n and to know what model family your machine is associated with. In your case it's a Metro.

That being said the adjustment is pretty simple. You want to make machine is off and the thumb latches are disengaged. Verify that the cotter pin that holds the drive linkage to the drive lever does not bottom out in the long thumb latch slot. As you squeeze the drive lever up and down you'll be able to tell if the cotter pin is actually bottoming out. If it is bottoming out, pull the hairpin that keeps the cotter pin in place. Slide the cotter pin out and back the threaded linkage rod off. You want to lengthen the linkage so that it is about 1/8"-1/4" from bottoming out in the slot. Put the hairpin and cotter pin back in place and away you go. If you would like you may find it's easier to hear it explained as your making the adjustment rather than try to read it and adjust it. Just grab your cell or cordless phone walk out to your machine and call me at 800-667-5296. I'll walk you through the adjustment.

Things like worn belts, worn pulleys, debris in pulley's etc. can cause similar operating characteristics but it may just needs some adjusting.

Thanks

Terry