48Metro vs 60 turf tracer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Just Cut, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

Why is it that I am able to out perform a 60 inch turf tracer in qaulity and time on identical lawns 15000 sq ft or smaller, starting the same time, I run the Metro 48, the other person running the 60 inch turf tracer and I am moving at a slower pace:)

2. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Probably you are more efficient and understand how to keep the mower always heading toward new grass. You probably plan your mowing patterns - they do not - Put a flex-deck on your WB and really go to town

[​IMG]

36x-flexed.jpg

3. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

I have a 48"metro .the comparison between a a Metro and a 60 is no even comparable.My 48 is belt drive with a 13 kawasaki. in wet grass it is useless . the low tip speed of the blades makes for alot of mulching over.The deck is not floating and therefore will and does scalp.But I cannot knock the machine I started my business with this machine and it did the job ,it is still on my trailor for back yards (we have to tilt it sideways to get into gates for back yards) .But compared to a 60" : any knowledgable operator of a ZTR will cut circles around you ,You really cant compare a 48" metr0 w/b Belt drive to a 60" ZTR.Im not trying to be negative but thats the truth

4. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Florida - Turf Tracers are hydro walk-behinds, which should still easily outperform the Metro. A 60 inch is a big WB and probably too big for the yards being mowed. Too much slow maneuvering? I have yards that I mow with my 48 inch Turf Tracer HP WB that would take a 60 inch mower longer and others where they would blow me away. Gotta match the mower to the lawn!

5. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Brad - The Flex Deck looks sweet on that mower. How do you like the ECS on the Exmark? It's a big improvement over pistol grips in my opinon.

6. Floridalandcare

Floridalandcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from Tampa

Darryl , Iknow this , I just want to know what a flex deck is ,here in florida we have never heard of using one (other than on a DC).We use WBs only for back yards .Please fill me in on the Flex-Deck.

7. Does the other guy know what they are doing?

Are they using the inside of the castor wheel as the guide?

If they are, they are only mowing about 40" wide.

Are they walking? Are you walking?

More info needed to help.

8. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

Both machines are using sulkys, the operator seems to be a seasoned operator, obtacles consist of the house and 2 small tree in the front yard and the lawn is level, this is a local competitor that has a lawn next to the one that I service, as for if he cuts using the inside of the wheel I am not sure, but I will see this week, as for me I do use the inside front wheel as a guide:)

9. Flex-Deck

floridalawncare - I have pics on my sponsor forum (Flex-Deck) - I have pics on a thread on pg 1 (flex-deck on a 36" eXmark Viking Hydro "or something like that") and here are two more: 1: in transport position to get thru narrow gates, and 2. the next post in mowig position
    [​IMG]

36x-flip up between post.jpg

10. Flex-Deck

floridalawncare - Here are mowing pics
    [​IMG]

36x-between post.jpg