48WB/SWB with velky

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Doc Pete, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

I run the Hustler 54" WB/SWB with a bullrider. The guy's use the 48WB/SWB with a bullrider. I never realized the difference between the two machines until a used the 48" machine for the first time the other day.
    Wow, the machines are like night and day. The 54" is glued to the ground while the 48" machine pops it's nose all the time.
    My suggestion is if you're going to the use 48" machine with a velky, immediately order the "weight kit" for the 48 from Hustler, to keep the deck on the turf. I guarantee you'll be happy you did.....
    Pete

2. DLS1

DLS1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Pete I just got in yesterday a Bull Rider for my 37" Hustler but have not put it together yet. It sure is heavy. Does your Bull Rider tear up the grass much? I am concerned my 200 lbs plus the weight of the Bull Rider will tear up grass when making turns. Thanks for the tip about the weights.

3. Doc Pete

FWIW, one of my guy's weighs 195 and he does not divot the grass. However, the machine is the 48 SWB, which has larger tires, than your 37", watch out that the "machine's tires" don't divot.
    One thing is for sure, down the road you really want to put on the tires the SWB has. It's a rim and tire change, but boy does it make a difference in being able to mower faster and smoother.
    Stay in touch,
    Pete

4. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete, did you get my email about some problems with my swb?
    On another story I had my swb not start on me so I took it to the dealer and it was the safety switch. They also adjusted the safety steering lock switch. I also had them adjust my rpm- Now there is a problem with the govenor so the machine had to be left there.The mech. said that they have seen a few Kaw's with this problem. They gave me a mower to use since it was 2 pm. I was hoping to get a Z- ( to also try out the hustler Z's) BUT they gave me a Scag w/b. I used it on 3 small lawns and then returned it.
    You try going from the ultimate w/b with sulky to a scag ( which I have never run before) with out a sulky. I had to walk behind that p.o.s. and the cut with new high lifts -JUNK
    I really wish they would have had a HUSTLER replacement- I would have been happy to pay for it.
    But I was able to get 2 SUPER Z hats and a NICE HUSTLER TURF EQUIPMENT metal sign - free :D
    Joel

5. Doc Pete

Joel,
    I don't remember seeing it, please email me again.
    Thanks,
    Pete

PS
    Today I had a nice talk with another rep, Brian, PJ's friend. After talking, I can see part of the problem with the SWB, is we need more/better advertising, since people just don't understand the H bar. Also, we both agree, the SWB needs the cruise control, which in some form should be on the newer trimstars.

6. jsaunders

jsaunders LawnSite Bronze Member

Pete - I sent it to your aol email
    Any ways I was having problems with my hand going numb after using it for a while- And my wrists get sore esp. after going up hills( having to work against the hydro pump pressure. You mentioned a while ago about a grip change and also making a cruise setting? Whats the best tire pressure? My front end seems to bounce alot on bumpy lawns.
    The cut is great from the machine, I just wish the clippings would be finer.I did just pick up gators so I will try those and will also try doubles. I did modify my discharge chute into a odc which helps alot when working around beds.
    Joel

7. Doc Pete

Joel,
    Put the gators on top for sure. I'd rather see you run double highlifts though. You're machine has the power. With double highs, I believe you'll find a lot of things you can do with the machine. I blow off the street and driveways with the mower and it really saves time. It works best going backward. However, even at full speed backwards, the double highs will blow off the street in no time.
    I'm running 8 lbs. in the front and 7 lbs. in the rear. Those rear tires are still hard so you can run them pretty low. Actually, you'll get a better cut at lower pressure (6lbs.) because the deck won't bounce when you're really going fast.
    ALSO, you're 100% correct about having a hard time holding the grip at full speed. I hope PJ conveys this to Hustler. FWIW, you're the 3 guy to privately email me about the problem. I believe Hustler is not aware of the problem because most guy's don't run the machine in the fast position.
    Please email me again at SWTICHLESS@AOL.COM, and I'll send you pics and info on the grip change.
    Pete

8. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

mY 48" SWB is a great machine. I haven't noticed a problem with the front wanting to come up as long as I don't try to go full speed over rough lawns.
    I do sometimes get numb or tingling in my hands also. I just try to relax my grip and not work so hard at the controls. The great thing about the h-bar is you can let go with one hand and let the circulation get back to normal then give the other hand a rest.
    had it in for a service at a local dealer (not a hustler dealer) just a simple oil change (no time) and a couple electrical connections on a safety switch.
    This dealer sells scag , toro, and gravely walkbehinds and has worked on a few others also. this is the first time any of the guys there had a chance to drive the hustler.
    The words used were "cool" "awesome" and "kick a$$"
    I still believe that the 48" SWB is the best 48" walkbehind on the market.and maybe the best 48" mower ever.