1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice
  1. Trimline

Trimline LawnSite Member

I have a 90 chevy 1/2 ton that I do mostly driveways with.
    When plowing I have always used 4hi. Should I have been using low and if so why.

Could use a little advise thanks
  2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

You should be ok.If you start pushing deep snow you might want put it in low or if the truck is struggling.
    Plow On!!
  3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i use 4 hi almost 100% of the time. i think you are right using it, unless someone can tell me otherwise
  4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

When plowing driveways, you are constantly doing a lot of jockeying around out in the street (bare blacktop) mostly. If you use 4HI, you can just pop in out of 4x4 and into 2HI on the fly and not bind up out in the street. While if you used 4LO, you have to stop and shift into 2HI. Whenever you see your tranny or engine struggling with deep snow, etc. Use 4LO. It will depend alot on what your rear gears are. If you run 3.42's you may want to use 4LO more than a guy with 4.11's.

Hope this helped,

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Since no one else said it yet, I'll chime in. Keep the speeds down while in 4 low and try not to turn tight more than whats necessry. CHeck out your manual and it will go deeper into it.

Hope this helped!
  6. plowking35

plowking35 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S.E. CT

This is what we do.
    Gas engine and auto = 4 low
    Gas engine and standard = 4 high
    Diesel, auto/ standard = 4 high
    In the last two cases, 4 low for heavy pushing applications only.
  7. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

Four wheel high all the time with my jeep sahara 89!!!!!!!
  8. Alan

Alan Member

Dino, why 4lo with the gas engine/auto combination? I'm too impatient to tolerate lo range when I'm backing a lot.
  9. wyldman

wyldman LawnSite Member

Same here,only use 4LO if you NEED it,even with a measly little gas engine.Too much wear and tear on the drivetrain,and the risk of overrevving a motor.
  10. Plowboy

Plowboy LawnSite Member

I use them about 50 50, high for long runs, and small lots, where I don't plow for more than 15-20 min.

low range for long periods of for/back or when stacking snow. also when truck starts to labor under the weight of a deep windrow.

doing this keeps the heat out of the tranny because you are using gears as your torque multiplier instead of the torque converter. (previous experience, plus a tranny temp guage verify this statement. I do start in 2nd gear when in low range to avoid the hard jerk from the 1-2 shift. MY 1-2 is stifer than most for plowing snow and trailer towing.