1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

4hp tec won't restart

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 5627, Sep 25, 2007.

1. 5627

5627 LawnSite Member
    from canada

Hi guys, I'm working on a craftmans mower 143-014016 with several problems but I got it repaired except for a problem with restart.I press the primer 3 times it starts, shut it off no start until approx. 30 seconds then it starts with out primer. . I think it some kind of vacuum /air problem but I don't know where else to look. I,ve removed cap no help, cleaned the carb with cleaner, used small wire, blew out everything three times paying attention to all orfices. I,ve replaced the 2 orings on the emulsion tube,replaced intake gaskets,bowl gasket,needed a new float(hole in it)adjusted the float (11/64 drill) gas line,replaced nonadjust air screw change the fly wheel key (sheared). Would the primer bulb cause this problem? It works fine when it started. you just got to wait a short while then it starts right up first pull or pull about 6 times it will start after you shut off.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If this unit starts just fine cold after priming and runs fine I wouldn't waste anymore time on it. Some engines must be primed/choked to start when hot anyway.

30 seconds does not give the engine time enough to warm up before trying to re-start without priming.

3. 5627

5627 LawnSite Member
    from canada

Yah, It's going back to customer like it is . To much time spent on it now.It bugs me to no end when something like that happens and I can't seem to figure it out. Normally when I return a mower to the customer it always starts on the first or second pull. If not then I'm determine to fine out why.If something do come to mind please let me know o.k. Thanks.