1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

4runner as tow vehicle

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by luckydooley, Jan 23, 2008.

1. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Hi,

I just got a 6'x12' single axle enclosed trailer. Empty weight 1400#. Max weight 3000#. I will run it at about 2500-3000# once loaded. I plan to pull with a 02 Toyota 4runner. 3.4 V6. Transmission cooler. Seems to pull it fine. Will this be ok pulling everyday? Or should I start looking for a bigger truck? Thanks!
    P.S. I do not pull in overdirve. Any other suggestions?

2. bigw

bigw LawnSite Bronze Member

It will pull it no problem,i use to pull my 3,000 lb boat with my mountaineer but you may want to consider trading it in for a 4x4 truck so you have more carring capabilities and for simple convience of throwing things in the bed. JMO:weightlifter:

3. luckydooley

luckydooley LawnSite Senior Member

Forgot to mention it is a 4x4 sr5 package. I actually traded a 4x4 Tacoma for this last fall because I needed seats for the kids. I miss my Tacoma, but the 4runner has been fun.

4. mudwisr2

mudwisr2 LawnSite Senior Member

I would recommend getting a 1/2 ton pickup at least. The 4-runner is definitely well built and has ample power for what you are needing it for and the 8 inch rear axle is surprisingly strong. I would say if you use it through this coming season to save up for a purchase at the end of the year it would be good. Just remember you are driving a 4runner and not a dually and dont race the thing around or you will run into problems (not to mention replacing brake pads). I ran a Tacoma 4cyl 4x4 with a 5x10 trailer behind it and had to build a platform on the trailer so I could carry 2 walk behinds, push mower, 2 trimmers, and 2 blowers. Truck did great. I beefed up all the suspension and did not abuse it. Still have the truck and it drives like the day I bought it over 4yrs and 85K miles ago.

5. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

im sure it will handle it fine, i had a 97 tacoma that i used with a 6x10, they are basically set up on the same frame with same engine. The only problem i ever had was Stopping! Be Careful or look into a brake upgrade if your trailer doesnt have brakes. Good luck!